Active Topics

Hi,
At the heart of this mobile computer is its powerful 600 MHz processor and up to 1GB of application memory.
source: http://maemo.nokia.com/n900

As we all now, the n900 has a 600 mhz CPU and 256 mb of RAM.
To tell the truth, nokia could give the n900 more advanced and powerful components like: at least 800 mhz CPU and 512 mb of RAM.
Do you find the current spec satisfying?

We expect from the n900 to be a mobile computer, to run multiple applications at the same time and to run kde and other desktop environments. Will the n900 handle all these?

Feel free to reply!

Originally Posted by a179 View Post
Hi,

To tell the truth, nokia could give the n900 more advanced and powerful components like: at least 800 mhz CPU and 512 mb of RAM.

We expect from the n900 to be a mobile computer, to run multiple applications at the same time and to run kde and other desktop environments. Will the n900 handle all these?

Feel free to reply!
The 600 MHz CPU and 256 MB RAM are both parts of OMAP3, so you'd have to change the entire hardware in case you're not satisfied with those specs. Also keep in mind that the 800 MHz ARM11 chips are far inferior to a 600 MHz ARMv7 (Cortex A8) chip.

The Following User Says Thank You to c0rt3x For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Originally Posted by a179 View Post
Hi,

Feel free to reply!
You do realize this thing was probably designed a year ago. 800 mhz and 512 mb of RAM might be out now, but wasn't available at the time and currently not available in the market now (device for sale). There's a reason Palm, Apple and Nokia have the same hardware.

I would expect the maemo 6 devices to have 512mb of RAM and 800 mhz - 1 Ghz processor given what's sampling now.

But the idea of an upgradeable processor would be great
But even in Laptops we still dont have

cant ever see it happening until we get MobileATX motherboards
(I just made that up)

Mike C

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
But the idea of an upgradeable processor would be great
But even in Laptops we still dont have

cant ever see it happening until we get MobileATX motherboards
(I just made that up)
That would make the costs of producing a cell phone tremendously higher, with little to none benefit.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arachnist For This Useful Post:
If the n900 would have been 800 Mhz / 512 Mb, I bet many would have said that only 1.2 Ghz/1 Gb would be satisfying. You have to remember that:
1. you cannot put to market an embedded devices with today's processors (like others said, the n900 was designed some time ago)
2. You have to power it from a 1350 mA, one cell battery. Get a 1.3 GhzAtom netbook and discharge the battery to 20% and see how much it lasts from there It's pretty much what this cpu has to deal with.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by icebox View Post
2. You have to power it from a 1350 mA, one cell battery. Get a 1.3 GhzAtom netbook and discharge the battery to 20% and see how much it lasts from there It's pretty much what this cpu has to deal with.
I really hate to be "that guy", but in case it wasn't a typo, just FYI, battery capacity is measured in mAh (mA * hours), which is equivalent to Coloumbs (measure of charge) - not mA. The rating is essentially saying that if your device were to draw 1350mA, the battery would run for 1 hour. (You can split that product up any way you want, e.g. if it draws 675mA, it would run for 2 hours.)

And by the way, I agree with point 2. I'm actually kind of glad that I can't afford a cell plan for an N900, if I manage to get one at all (I've entered the PUSH competition, so we'll see), as I'd probably use it so much as a computer that I wouldn't have enough charge for calls, as it is. IIRC, though, the N900's battery is slightly larger than the 1350mAh battery in the N8x0. Meh... whatever - your point is still valid.

The BP-5L battery in the N800 is 1500mAh. The battery in the N810 uses BP-4L which is supposed to have the same capacity. So both of the N8x0 models have a higher battery capacity than the N900. Due to the, I believe, improved battery saving capability of the OMAP3 chipset this shouldn't matter too much, except that the GSM/HSPA part of the N900 will suck some juice no matter what.

EDIT: I've found some sites selling genuine Nokia BP-5L batteries and claiming they are 1300mAh. However, Nokia's web pages say 1500mAh, and that fits with what I've heard before and I'm inclined to trust the Nokia site more.

770/N800 battery:
http://europe.nokia.com/find-product...-battery-bp-5l

N810 battery:
http://europe.nokia.com/find-product...-battery-bp-4l

Last edited by TA-t3; 2009-10-27 at 15:21.

I wonder if they're the same voltage. Remember that energy = voltage * current * time. 1350 mAh gives current*time, but says nothing about the total energy stored

The Following User Says Thank You to MrGrim For This Useful Post:
They're the same voltage. So-called 3.7V Lithium ion or polymer batteries. These kind of batteries are charged up to 4.10 or 4.20 volts, and are considered empty when dropping somewhere below 3.8 volts (the cut-off on my Palm PDA is 3.76 volts default, with warning messages starting to pop up at 3.78volts). The batteries can be discharged much lower, but will get damaged at some point (there's much more about this on batteryuniversity.com).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post: