Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Since December 2009, the current and future URL of maeMaps is http://tomch.com/maemaps.html
No need to follow the full thread, maeMaps now includes a simple helptext when you open the above URL. It has much more functionality and better design than in the below original post.

maeMaps ["myMaps"] is a simple Google Maps / Geosearch webpage optimized for fullscreen touch usage on a 800x480 screen. It's primary purpose is to quickly find a location and be able to zoom/pan around it on the N900, without having to activate cursor mode.

It is a self contained webpage that you can get from my server. Simply open it (caution, old version!) in the Maemo Webbrowser, start typing and hit ENTER to launch the search. The text entry field will be autoselected after each action, so you can always just type another search and press ENTER to get there.

For more independence, you can download it to your device and store it locally in MyDocs, then launch it through the File Manager and bookmark it from inside the Browser (Sometime in the future, I might package it for installation through the App manager). It also works on OS2008, as the location bar only covers the bottom line of the page.

It uses the Google Maps API v3, so no need for an API key.

Glad for feedback, as this is an untested initial release.

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Last edited by twaelti; 2009-12-16 at 16:16. Reason: Marked "Old version"

The Following 62 Users Say Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
Great! Feature requests:
  • Routing ("A to B" should display a route like Google Maps)
  • Realtime input completion (street names, etc..)
  • Add "District" zoom level (and get rid of "world"?)
  • Current position through GPS (if exposed via APIs in the browser)
  • Use Unicode arrows for navigation (I was wondering what the "A" button does )
  • Copyable link to the current view that one can paste into SMS/IM/E-Mail

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Shangri-la Oregon
Dummy question. How do I download to my device? Neat idea!

Jim

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to joshua.maverick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
maeMaps ["myMaps"] is a simple Google Maps / Geosearch webpage optimized for fullscreen touch usage on a 800x480 screen. It's primary purpose is to quickly find a location and be able to zoom/pan around it on the N900, without having to activate cursor mode.

It is a self contained webpage that you can get from my server. Simply open it in the Maemo Webbrowser, start typing and hit ENTER to launch the search. The text entry field will be autoselected after each action, so you can always just type another search and press ENTER to get there.

For more independence, you can download it to your device and store it locally in MyDocs, then launch it through the File Manager and bookmark it from inside the Browser (Sometime in the future, I might package it for installation through the App manager). It also works on OS2008, as the location bar only covers the bottom line of the page.

It uses the Google Maps API v3, so no need for an API key.

Nice... it works in other browsers and the N8**'s too.

Have you tried the traffic layer yet?

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 162 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Indiana
Originally Posted by jlslate View Post
Dummy question. How do I download to my device? Neat idea!

Jim
Open your browser (I have an N800)
Go to the URL in his link- http://www.tomch.com/maemap.html
After the page loads, bring up your menu in the browser/click up top where the page title is located Web - Google maeMaps
Choose Web Page from the menu
Choose Save As... and place it in your local location of choice.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daveb70 For This Useful Post:
@twaelti

You must've read my mind.. or I read yours. I was thinking about the possibility of creating a specialized browser, like Flock is for social, or Songbird for music. But I was thinking a specialized web browser for Google Maps navigation,

I was also thinking that it could use the location of your GPS if you wanted to use it for navigation. E.g. you can use the browser to set the route and then a gmap to gpx bookmarklet kicks in to convert the instructions into code which would run in the background. Then as you drove along the route, as you hit the appropriate GPS latitude,longitude coordinates flite would tell you where to turn.

Edit: I was also thinking about ways you could refresh the view, but it doesn't seem likely since Google could change your directions even if you could automate the entering of your current GPS location into the A box.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2009-10-29 at 00:24.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Very sweet twaelti... This is a very tweak-able, locally stored page that calls up a Google map in the flavor of your choice for a location specified. It is an excellent use of Googles geocoder and you can also simply enter a postal code and go to that location.

The image above^ is a tweak I did for us stylus users on N8**'s. It shows a bit more map.

I've linked to it here if you don't mind Tom.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-10-29 at 01:41.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Shangri-la Oregon
Originally Posted by daveb70 View Post
Open your browser (I have an N800)
Go to the URL in his link- http://www.tomch.com/maemap.html
After the page loads, bring up your menu in the browser/click up top where the page title is located Web - Google maeMaps
Choose Web Page from the menu
Choose Save As... and place it in your local location of choice.
I had to change the type to HTML only, rather than Complete web page.
Thanks.

Jim

Tags
google maps, microb, n900