Active Topics

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Wrocław / Poland
How can I use glib libs like liblocation from Qt app?
I want to write applications using the liblocation using Qt.But I do not know how it will work with the GLib to Qt type casting.

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
You can't directly convert GLib and Qt types. You would need to convert a GString to a char pointer, and pass it to QString's constructor, for example, but as far as I know there's also no easy way to do this via GTK's API (other than g_string_free(), which looks dangerous and inefficient for these purposes), so you'd have to go digging in GString's struct for the right member.

[edit: this was just an example, not an exhaustive tutorial]

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
Check the PDF in this page: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...velopers_Guide

Chapter 5.1: Using Maemo APIs in Qt applications - Liblocation
The example that comes there is with Gtk though (weird thing being Qt documentation).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post:
This looks useful, though I'm a bit confused why they've written a Gtk example application using liblocation in a "Qt for Maemo" howto.

Seems kind of strange...

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
You can't directly convert GLib and Qt types. You would need to convert a GString to a char pointer, and pass it to QString's constructor, for example, but as far as I know there's also no easy way to do this via GTK's API (other than g_string_free(), which looks dangerous and inefficient for these purposes), so you'd have to go digging in GString's struct for the right member.]
Fortunately, "GLib-like APIs" (how I call Gtk+, liblocation, etc.) tend to favor bare gchar * arrays instead of GStrings. (Can't say the same about Qt libs ).

I'm not sure what you mean.

If you mean that Qt doesn't store/accept scalar types, well, they do in a lot of places (or indirectly, via e.g. QString constructor overloads), and it is also possible to extract those types using things like QString::toLatin1()

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oulu, Finland
Originally Posted by kdrozd View Post
I want to write applications using the liblocation using Qt.But I do not know how it will work with the GLib to Qt type casting.
I have the same problem. I'm trying to develop GPS application for N900. How can i read internal GPS? Is it possible to use liblocation API at all? Has anyone figured out this yet?

Originally Posted by kdrozd View Post
I have very similar problem. However not with the casting.

My Qt application run qt events loop and it seems that for liblocation to work properly it needs a running gtk events loop.

If I use liblocation without gtk events loop started the location_gpsd_control_start function never returns. And callbacks are never called.

Is there somework around to this?

Writting pure gtk application works fine (Using Location API).

Please correct me if I am missing something very obvious.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 199 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Concepcion, Chile
look https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/ggi...atitude;a=tree

QT + liblocation

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rlinfati For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rlinfati View Post
look https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/ggi...atitude;a=tree

QT + liblocation
Thanks for reply but thats exactly where I have been looking for the past few days.

I have grep'ed your code for g_ (glib function) several times and it seems you don't start any gtk event loops (I have read you code from begginging to and few times also ).

As far as I understand you just register "changed" callback. And call location_gpsd_control_start on the button click event.

In my application the location_gpsd_control_start function call is triggered by http request finished event.

The only difference I see between yours and mine applications is that yours uses GUI. Is there any special trick that you do for liblocation to work?

I think I am missing something really obvious.
Any help would be really appreciated.
I am sorry to bother you, but would it be possible to discuss it with you via IM?

P.S.
I have written you an email with a bit longer description of my problem.

Tags
glib, qtlib