Active Topics

The cellphone news has been jumping on the new Motorola Droid Android 2.0 phone. At 60.0mm x 115.8mm x 13.7mm and 169g it packs a 3.7" WVGA capacitive screen and 1400mAh battery. The rest of the specs are comparable to the N900 as well.

The N900 is 59.8mm x 110.9mm × 18.0mm (19.55 at thickest) and 181g with a 3.5" WVGA screen and 1320mAh battery.

13.7mm thick vs 19.55 is a big difference.

At first I thought the slider design of the N900 was the reason for the extra thickness but that isn't the case.

This leaves me wondering why the N900 is so thick.

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
Don't tell anyone that it was ME that told you, but I know for a fact that extra thickness is taken up by a flux capacitor.

Its an easter egg.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mmurfin87 For This Useful Post:
Its too late now, but there should have been enough space for a larger battery. That would have been a killer feature.

Originally Posted by vzontini View Post
The cellphone news has been jumping on the new Motorola Droid Android 2.0 phone. At 60.0mm x 115.8mm x 13.7mm and 169g it packs a 3.7" WVGA capacitive screen and 1400mAh battery. The rest of the specs are comparable to the N900 as well.

The N900 is 59.8mm x 110.9mm × 18.0mm (19.55 at thickest) and 181g with a 3.5" WVGA screen and 1320mAh battery.

13.7mm thick vs 19.55 is a big difference.

At first I thought the slider design of the N900 was the reason for the extra thickness but that isn't the case.

This leaves me wondering why the N900 is so thick.
Being this thick but not being able to fit the larger BP-4L 1500 mah battery but managing to fit space for a stylus... and with a UI design requires a stylus maybe 5-10% of the time.... bizarre design decision!

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
Being this thick but not being able to fit the larger BP-4L 1500 mah battery but managing to fit space for a stylus... and with a UI design requires a stylus maybe 5-10% of the time.... bizarre design decision!
Er, yeah, because you know for sure that the stylus made all the difference.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Er, yeah, because you know for sure that the stylus made all the difference.
C'mon that stylus is pretty long.
I'm pretty sure they didn't design the phone and found so much empty space that they said.. lets stick the stylus in there!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bugelrex For This Useful Post:
I was reading at Engadget that the keyboard is supposed to completely suck on the Droid (according to more than one person). And someone else noted that the camera is less than stellar. I don't really know how the engineering on these things works, but I wonder if Motorola skimped on a lot of components. So on paper the Droid looks pretty comparable to the N900. But in practice cramming so much in a super thin space resulted in cutting a lot of corners.

I do agree the stylus is a bit of an odd choice.

I've also read that the N900 was conceived more as a development device than a consumer device, but then Nokia made a different decision about what to do with it. So Perhaps Nokia wasn't making it's biggest effort to engineer for thinness.

Also I believe the case on the Droid is made of metal. Perhaps that allows the material to be a little thinner, at least accounting for 1mm?

The Following User Says Thank You to cb474 For This Useful Post:
From what I have seen of the N900 mainboard, I think the thickness can be attributed to the stereo speakers and the camera module. Could be wrong.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
C'mon that stylus is pretty long.
I'm pretty sure they didn't design the phone and found so much empty space that they said.. lets stick the stylus in there!
Speaking as somebody who actually has access to a device, removing the stylus would not have provided enough room for the BP-4L.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
If you're going to need/prefer a stylus 10% of the time, then you need to have a place to stick it. And it needs to be convenient to get to and to put away. That means the phone needs a space for it. It adds a little bulk but nearly no weight. A good design decision, IMHO.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post: