Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Abstract:

Some have complained that the N900 cell capability feels like an afterthought, and is missing features expected on advanced communications devices.

While the N900 may be a mobile computer first, there is no reason to accept phone shortcomings if improvements make sense and can be reasonably incorporated.

If you have ideas for UI and/or usability improvements to the cell or even VoIP functionality, add them here!
http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...ne_experience/

The thread by matthewcc that started all this: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33551

Related thread on Contact grouping: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33812

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-11-01 at 20:50.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Most standard phones will pick up the network's answer-phone service from the sim card, and install it on 1 on the speed dial.

How does n900 handle the answering service?

Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Most standard phones will pick up the network's answer-phone service from the sim card, and install it on 1 on the speed dial.

How does n900 handle the answering service?
Sigh... I get the message "Incorrect number". Guess it didn't come across automatically...

Hmm, is that more a place to put suggestions as to how to address the shortcomings or just to point out shortcomings?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Hmmm Well, that's one to improve then!

Certainly allowing a 'call answerphone' facility is needed, even if you have to hunt down and enter the number yourself. For that matter, does n900 have a notification if you have messages?

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
When I insert SIM in phone automagically configures stuff like voicemail number. As for voicemail, a local voicemail box is usually cheaper, and then you can implement your 'visual voicemail' too.

Example implementation:

1) Phone voicemail is on or off for A or B where A is GSM and B is SIP or VoIP. Can be multiple B. Can eventually even include support for IM phone calls, conferencing, or video chat.
2) If setting is on and phone is called for X seconds, them following is triggered: Phone is picked up, no microphone or speakers are enabled, message making clear voicemail is enabled is played to caller, input sound is recorded, data is flagged as voicemail in log. UI allows user to handle voicemail(s), including: play, reply, delete.

Basically like Eliza only works on Pidgin when its enabled, and when one is away...

In the UK voicemail is automatically included from your network and usually can't be turned off, though you can record your own message these days.

So any other option is a bit of a nonstarter. Calls to voicemail are either free or part of your 'included minutes' if you're on a plan. I really need n900 to know if someone has left voicemail.

Last edited by RevdKathy; 2009-11-01 at 20:34.

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Hmm, is that more a place to put suggestions as to how to address the shortcomings or just to point out shortcomings?
We can discuss shortcomings here, and when Solutions occur to someone, they need to be added to the Brainstorm item.

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Istanbul, Turkey
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
IMO it makes sense to select them all by default, and put on top 'Show...'

[X] Incoming calls
[ ] Outgoing calls
[ ] Missed calls
[ ] Voicemail

[EDIT]Clarification: I did not put X in checkboxes while by default it would Show All aka Filter None[/EDIT]
How about a menu of selectable 5 items,

[X] Show All
Or Show Only:
[ ] Incoming calls
[ ] Outgoing calls
[ ] Missed calls
[ ] Voicemail

and maybe multiple selection enabled for the last four?
|[ Maemo 5 101 / Maemo 5'e Giriş ][ Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) / Sık Sorulan Sorular (SSS) ]|
If I can help with anything else, just ask / Yardımcı olabileceğim birşey varsa, sormaktan çekinmeyin

The Following User Says Thank You to gecebekcisi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
In the UK voicemail is automatically included from your network and usually can't be turned off, though you can record your own message these days.

So any other option is a bit of a nonstarter. Calls to voicemail are either free or part of your 'included minutes' if you're on a plan. I really need n900 to know if someone has left voicemail.
Well I'm notified by SMS with link to voicemail number if I got voicemail, and receiving SMS works on N900, so...

Originally Posted by gecebekcisi View Post
How about a menu of selectable 5 items,

[X] Show All
Or Show Only:
[ ] Incoming calls
[ ] Outgoing calls
[ ] Missed calls
[ ] Voicemail

and maybe multiple selection enabled for the last four?
Yes, I thought of that, but the first option's checkbox directly influence the options under it which must be shown in UI.

Consider:

You have 'Show All' enabled. You show 'Or show only', and now enabling one option in 'Show Only' disables 'Show All'.

...while...

Show All is disabled and being enabled 'Show All' removes functionality of currently enabled and/or disabled checkboxes of 'Or show only'.

Confusing... and what do you do when you disable 'Show All'? Back to filter user had before enabling 'Show All'?

This complexity is not worth it. Its only 4 checkboxes. No need for 'Show All'. No need for 'Inverse'. That is useful if managing a lot of messages in webmail; not case here.

What may be useful is different profiles.

Or a button (instead of checkbox) to Show All. (I don't find it worth it tho, I think different profiles is better solution.)

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2009-11-01 at 20:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post: