Active Topics

Posts: 315 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Montreal, canada
Is it possible to change the 3G frequency of the N900 by software or by hardware? to make it compatible with AT&T or Canadien frequency?

Originally Posted by JD2010 View Post
Is it possible to change the 3G frequency of the N900 by software or by hardware? to make it compatible with AT&T or Canadien frequency?
in practical terms (ie for an end-user), no. But anything's possible with enough money and patience.

Last edited by texaslabrat; 2009-11-02 at 21:50.

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
The phone will work on AT&T or Rogers in Canada, but the data will only transfer at 2.5 G (Edge) with the current setups.

See
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ht=n900+canada
and
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ht=n900+canada

Posts: 315 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Montreal, canada
The phone will work but it take much longer on 2.5g than 3G. if you look in the video down bellow you can see. I wonder how can we change the frequency of the phone or if it is possible so we would be abble to work 3 g on AT&T and Rogers. With the current frequency of the N900 it is impossible to get 3G in Canada and AT&T only 2.5G wich is twice longer to download. If we could change a chip or a part inside the phone it would be great.

http://www.touchpodium.com/2008/05/0...t-speed-video/

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
@JD2010: how are your soldering skills? any good at antenna design?

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Lima-Perú
Any positive finding about this thread??

I posted a bug, because no one knows whether the frequency support is for sure hardware or firmware/software. The bug is for only 2.5G in the AT&T network. We want them to implement the 850/1900 MHz support for 3G! Check it out, and please vote for it! Who knows what it will bring about, it's worth a shot (just a click).
---------Kham

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kham For This Useful Post:
The N900s hardware is finalized. That "bug" is going to be marked as invalid as there is no way to "fixing" the "bug"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jessi3k3 For This Useful Post:
Yeah, clearly the hardware is finalized. But no one can confirm whether it is a hardware radio issue or software/firmware issue. That was the whole point.
------Kham

The Following User Says Thank You to Kham For This Useful Post:
Meh...I think its "hardware", but even if it isn't, I can't wait to end my $100/mo at&t bill and finalize my cut-over to my $43/mo "unlimited everything" on T-Mo. Especially w/7Mb data.