As a former n810 owner (and linux and solaris evangelist), I've been anxiously awaiting the n900 to be released. In the meantime, I've been reading the gadget blogs about all the new smartphones on the horizon and I couldn't help noticing a commomn trend-- It seems that many devices in this new crop of smartphones have went with a 4+ inch, high(er) res screen while nokia (possibly in a move to be similar to the iphone) moved away from the 4 incher in the 810. This is a mistake, in my opinion, as it seems nokia aimed for where the market was instead of targeting where it's going.

I guess what I'm saying is I wish Nokia would have had faith that they had gotten the form factor right for years with their tablets and not tried to emulate a lesser product (iPhone).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juddpwr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
I suspect the same influence as exhibited for the tiny fashion phones that seem to dominate the market. Personally I love the screen on my N810 and made it a positive point when I bought it. I know lots of people have said that being able to put it in a pocket is important but I've never had a problem fitting my N810 in either a jean pocket or a jacket pocket either.

Originally Posted by juddpwr View Post
This is a mistake, in my opinion, as it seems nokia aimed for where the market was instead of targeting where it's going.
On the plus side, Nokia had the faith to make the N900 quite unlike the iPhone in most other regards.

This is pure speculation, but I'm guessing that the small screen was
due to any number of factors, such as a desire to keep the device
(which was not going to be subsidized) within a reasonable price
range, or the addition of a camera on the front, or some other reason
none of us is privy too.

I'd also guess you'll see bigger screens on future Maemo devices.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
I suspect the same influence as exhibited for the tiny fashion phones that seem to dominate the market. Personally I love the screen on my N810 and made it a positive point when I bought it. I know lots of people have said that being able to put it in a pocket is important but I've never had a problem fitting my N810 in either a jean pocket or a jacket pocket either.
I carry my N810 in my shirt pocket. It's a bit heavier than the Palm TX it replaced but it fits fine. For my pocketable computer, I have an OQO 02 which fits in a normal front pants pocket or jacket pocket and it has a five inch screen. The argument that they had to make the screen smaller to fit in pockets just doesn't hold water.

I suspect that it is more the fashion aspect. Hopefully a future model will focus on the usability aspect instead.

They already had a bunch of screens lying around from the N97 and decided to save money (and R&D time) by just reusing those?

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by bocaJ View Post
They already had a bunch of screens lying around from the N97 and decided to save money (and R&D time) by just reusing those?
these are different screens^^
n97: 640x320 pixel
n900: 800x480 pixel...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
these are different screens^^
n97: 640x360 pixel
n900: 800x480 pixel...
The same screen can have different resolutions, depending on what the software allows to. However, it's the height/width ratio that differs here (16:9 for 640x360 vs 15:9 for 800x480). Both have the same diagonal length (3.5 inches), but the size (area) of the N900's screen is slightly bigger than the N97's counterpart, due a different ratio (the wider, the smaller).

Quite off topic, but it's the same thing with the camera. Some less informed people think that Nokia just went "the lazy style" and simply put the same hardware parts as the N97 on the N900, but the fact is that none of them are the same. Different screen. Different camera. Different internal memory. All that despite of the coincidencial numbers.

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
I certainly will be pleased if they release a >4" device this time next year as I will pick it up when my 18 month contract on the N900 runs out.

That said if they go capacitive as promised, I may have second thoughts about it. Plus it would need to be at least a Cortex A9 MPCore, hopefully something even better by then and utilise the extra space by having a 4 row keyboard.

I also really wish someone would step up and put a proper DS style D-Pad on the left of the keyboard. That would make running the emulators much better as those D-Pads they usually use with a button in the middle are rubbish for gaming, you need to be able to easily rock in the direction you want.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by Alex Atkin UK View Post
I also really wish someone would step up and put a proper DS style D-Pad on the left of the keyboard. That would make running the emulators much better as those D-Pads they usually use with a button in the middle are rubbish for gaming, you need to be able to easily rock in the direction you want.
I've never used a D-Pad I liked. I wish they would put a track ball (like the Blackberry) or, even better, a trackstick like any number of PCs starting with the old IBM Thinkpads. My UMPC uses a central trackstick (with mouse buttons on the side) and it is a perfect compliment to a thumboard.