Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
I asked this on another thread and there was no answer given except for turning the phone face down. I am wondering if there is a button that can be used to silence the phone ringer. I am interested in this because I am looking for a leather case that I can carry on my belt and want to make sure that the manufacturers include access to such a button in their case designs. (They also need to make sure to give access to the headphones jack, but that is another story.) Having to take the phone out of the case to turn off the ringer is too inconvenient and slow, especially if the ringer is sounding at a very inopportune time.

So, is there a button that can turn off the ringer? If not, can the button next to the headphone jack be program to do so?

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:
What if its already face down? Then it doesnt ring?

Posts: 117 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Wolverhampton
If it is already face down then it will ring i think. The phone needs to be facing up and then flipped over for it to silence the ring afaik.

Other then that you can always put the phone in silent?

Last edited by Pedrolot; 2009-11-07 at 10:27.

I'm pretty sure on Nokias, when you press the power button once it lets you select which profile you want. So if you have a general profile and a silent profile, you can switch between them quickly. Not sure if this works on the N900, just a guess.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
Correct I believe. Check youtube video, ways to lock nokia from the FL's.

Posts: 516 | Thanked: 643 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Denmark/Poland
I'm not sure if this option is already there (one of the Spartans could confirm?) but for sure it can be done fairly easy. So in a worst case scenario, you just need to write/make someone to write a fairly simple script/application

[edit] I'm talking of course about one-button silencing of the ringer, changing profile doesn't sound like what you are looking for.

Useful links for newcomers:
Użyteczne linki:
Nowi użyktownicy mówią cześć | New members say hello , Tu zaczynają nowi użytkownicy | New users start here, Podforum społeczności | Community subforum, Wiki dla początkujących | Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Często zadawane pytania | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), Google

Jeżeli mogę w czymś pomóc, pytaj!
If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Bored? Follow me

Originally Posted by hopbeat View Post
[edit] I'm talking of course about one-button silencing of the ringer, changing profile doesn't sound like what you are looking for.
just guessing here: pressing Volume up or down may stop the ringer... That's how my WM HTC and Samsung e590 does it... and I hope my soon-to-come N900 will do the same

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
I wish one of those with pre-production devices could confirm this. It would be very helpful for guidance to those fabricating (and those buying) cases for this device.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
I wish one of those with pre-production devices could confirm this. It would be very helpful for guidance to those fabricating (and those buying) cases for this device.
Could confirm what?

Posts: 516 | Thanked: 643 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Denmark/Poland
Originally Posted by jandmdickerson View Post
Could confirm what?
That there is a button that can be pressed during ringing to silence the phone.

Useful links for newcomers:
Użyteczne linki:
Nowi użyktownicy mówią cześć | New members say hello , Tu zaczynają nowi użytkownicy | New users start here, Podforum społeczności | Community subforum, Wiki dla początkujących | Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Często zadawane pytania | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), Google

Jeżeli mogę w czymś pomóc, pytaj!
If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Bored? Follow me