Active Topics

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
Hi there!

I'm trying to figure out which dataplan to use with the n900 in germany. My current favourite is the one from o2, the "Internet-Pack-M". Unlimited data volume for 10€ and a cap to GPRS speed after 200 Mb. Seems pretty solid to me.

The other factor which makes me lean towards o2 is them allowing VoIP (and skype with that).
http://www.prepaidkarten-news.de/pre...t-erlaubt.html
This should be great with the n900.

Does anyone else have a good idea or suggestions concerning this matter?

Cheers
kore

The Following User Says Thank You to kore For This Useful Post:
Not sure if you've looked into Aldi Talk with medion mobile, supposedely, if I read it right, they allow you to have 5gb of bandwidth for 15€ for 30 days. Only requirement I believe is that you have to have the prepaid voice also activated and in use for that phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to toratoko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 291 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Trier, Germany
I recommend the Tchibo Surf Stick with Internet Flatrate XL. It's a prepaid card with 5 or 10 gb (don't remember) of hsdpa included for 20 bucks per month. There's no contract but the sim/stick bundle costs around 60€,

The Following User Says Thank You to bongo For This Useful Post:
With O2o you get an Internet Flat for 8,50€. Maybe something for you?

The Following User Says Thank You to draco.bdn For This Useful Post:
See http://wiki.maemo.org/Data_plans#Germany as a start, and do update it with any information not already there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
I've a employees contract from T-Mobile. That's basically a Combi Flat M with mobile-phone but for 19,95€ per month (instead of 59,95€ per month). That's Data-Flat, Festnetz-Flat, D1-Netz-Flat (Calls/SMS/MMS), T-Mobile-Hotspot-Flat.
0,203€ per call to other networks (0,29€ - 30% Rebate) and 0,133€ per SMS to other networks (0,19€ - 30% Rebate).
So if you know someone who works at T-Mobile you can ask him to get that contract for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
I recommend the Tchibo Surf Stick with Internet Flatrate XL. It's a prepaid card with 5 or 10 gb (don't remember) of hsdpa included for 20 bucks per month. There's no contract but the sim/stick bundle costs around 60€,
You cannot make GSM phone calls with the Surf Stick SIM, can you?

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Trier, Germany
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
You cannot make GSM phone calls with the Surf Stick SIM, can you?
No, I didn't see an option for phone calls with the stick. But you can use the sim card with your phone so you share your connection over bluetooth (works fine for my N800 and my netbook) and use your phone for calls.

FYI: I just decided to not to extend my contract at o2 Germany.
Reasons:
1. Often poor UMTS/3G signal - you'll see people with Vodafone getting about as twice as much downloading speed as you do

2. 200mb data volume - I usually hit that mark on the ~20th of each billing period (would be much earlier if I didn't try to avoid traffic all the time, e.g. asking a friend if he could quickly look sth. up on google so I would not have to do it).

3. I was able to get a much better price at Vodafone:
For 29,95€ per month they offered me:
Unlimited calls to Vodafone + German landline
Unlimited texts to Vodafone
Unlimited calls (for 12 months) to a german provider of my choice
UMTS Flatrate 5gb (after hitting 5gb -> GPRS)
40 texts to any provider

+ They do not care if you use skype and/or tethering with your mobile phone. Friend of mine uses skype all day and didn't receive anything asking him for some extra money due to the usage of voip.

I hope my post was helpful.

The Following User Says Thank You to brog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hannover, Germany
Hmm, this dataplan stuff is really strange here in Germany, esp at TMO:

If you want to combine voice and data option for one sim card you have 3G limits of 300MB per month and connection drops to 64kbit if you reach that limit.
So, if you want to listen internet radio 64kbit is not enough and 300MB volume is nothing, if I check my imap account regularly 300MB is also nothing. And *I think* if you use the big 3G dataplan option (5 GB/month) you can not combine this with a multisim option, for what reasons ever.
So far I will use my current +200kbit/unlimited EDGE data plan + openvpn proxy to break the internet port limits and check if the data Day-Flat is an option. 200kbit is fine for internet radio.

Looking at 1&1 you can get Vodaphone-net + 3G 1GB/month reduced to EDGE(!) as part of their all-in-one offer
http://pocketweb.1und1.de/common/pdf...rnetTarife.pdf.
But Vodaphone has no good multisim option - if you want/need one.

But look at the small numbers!! If you use the Smatphone as modem you will be a poor person in a short time :-)

When using the N900 can I change easily between EDGE and UMTS if I have two APNs?