Active Topics

Poll: Re-structure talk.maemo.org ?
Poll Options
Re-structure talk.maemo.org ?

With the introducton of the N900 - and maemo5 - posts in the Software section - 'Applications', 'Games', 'Multimedia' and 'Design' forums is now a guessing-game for the reader when it comes to what OS it is for.

Would the following make sense:

* Applications,
- maemo4, maemo5, maemo6

* Games,
- maemo4, maemo5, maemo6

etc....

If you clicked on the word Application you would get ALL of the application posts
If you clicked, say, maemo5, under Applications you would only get the application posts pertainng to maemo5

When postng a thread you'd simply make one more selection (OS).

Last edited by Tintin; 2009-11-10 at 16:04.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I second the idea. That or we need a separate forum for the pre-N900 NITs.

I think I will not be purchasing the N900, and, as an N800-user, this forum is becoming nearly useless for me.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post

I think I will not be purchasing the N900, and, as an N800-user, this forum is becoming nearly useless for me.
GeraldKo, I was thinking the same thing. Instead of signing onto the forum each day I think I will just subscribe to threads such as "FlipClock" and "Theremin".

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
great idea,
as time goes on, and people with n8x0 will end up posting why app wont work, even though it was designed for n900.
I also think it will be easier for prospective 900 purchasers

The Following User Says Thank You to maurice800 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post

I couldn't agree more.
I click on threads in Applications and it's more often than not a thread about some N900 application - that I don't care about.

Either a structure like this or a whole new forum like you said.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Maybe do it like the Ubuntu forums do with the operating system version or distribution type (ubuntu, kubuntu, etc..)Where there's a drop down box where the topic creator chooses which one it is.

But, yeah Tintin's idea works well too. Even though I'm buying the n900 I'm still keeping my n800 and using it at home.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
GeraldKo, I was thinking the same thing. Instead of signing onto the forum each day I think I will just subscribe to threads such as "FlipClock" and "Theremin".
That may be, overall, the best solution.

The forum needs to be 3-dimensional but that isn't easy...

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
That may be, overall, the best solution.

The forum needs to be 3-dimensional but that isn't easy...
I would think that would be the worst possible solution and evidence that the forums are not working for all users if they decide not to even sign in and just subscribe to threads that they knew existed.

Forum participation, sense of belonging to a community, exploring new threads and discovering topics/threads you didn't know of would be lost.

How could it be the best solution?
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
I would think that would be the worst possible solution and evidence that the forums are not working for all users if they decide not to even sign in and just subscribe to threads that they knew existed.

Forum participation, sense of belonging to a community, exploring new threads and discovering topics/threads you didn't know of would be lost.

How could it be the best solution?
It's the best (or least worst?) IMO because no solution is going to please everyone, so search + subscribe may be best overall. Sorry for leaving Search out, I figured it was a safe assumption.

We've already been down this road before, silvermountain, and maybe you should search (I recommend the Google supersearch) out previous threads on this subject to see why I say that. Summing up hundreds of posts isn't easy...

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-11-10 at 22:01.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
It's the best (or least worst?) IMO because no solution is going to please everyone, so search + subscribe may be best overall. Sorr for leaving Search out, I figured it was a safe assumption.
Actually retaining the main categories and having the option to narrow down the threads by OS may very well 'please' the vast majority.

The way it is now is making the forum less and less useful and to avoid solving the problem is not really a solution either.