Active Topics

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Hi Folks!

Could it be possible to connect the N900 to a PC with a USB Cable only as a read only mass storage Device?

Only to protect my private data on a unsecured PC...

Thanks

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
That's a very interesting question. Just so I'm clear, you're basically asking if you can write-protect the N900 when plugging it into a host PC as a mass-storage USB device, so that the host PC can copy files off the N900, but not copy anything onto it, or make any changes to it?

I can see that would be useful on occasions, especially if you're worried the host PC might have a virus or something. I'm afraid I haven't heard of anything like this, though. Anyone else know?

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Dominican Republic
Very idiot question, Sorry dude but it is.

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Gilbert, AZ, USA
What makes it an idiot question? Is it because you think it should already be obvious to everyone how to do this, or that you think wanting to write-protect your n900's storage has no value?

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
if you are using linux just mount it manually.. (with ro option). so yes it should be possible

I too would be interested about this, not only for the concern about viruses, but also to avoid something being accidentally deleted.

dammsaint, you are a "very idiot man", sorry but you are. The question is as legitimate as they get. It isn't blindingly obvious (especially on windows) and i don't think there's any obvious option for this either. Please enlighten us if you have the knowledge. And even it if were something really easy, not everyone is a tech wizard
I think that firmware needs changing to allow for this. Otherwise there's nothing to stop the system from mounting memory in read-write mode, which windows automatically does. I guess you could use a windows app to (re-)mount in read-only, but that doesn't really offer that much security

The Following User Says Thank You to MrGrim For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Thinking about it, that might turn out to be terribly useful for me.

I work in the NHS, and right now my Trust is going through a process of encoding every PC in the system to prevent people plugging flash drives in. Anyone wanting to transer data using a flash drive will need to purchase one containing the right sort of decoders. (At a price of £30)

It is just faintly possible that this system would mean I could plug n900 into an NHS computer, and transfer documents one way: then I could work on them, and email them back to n900. I could also potentially use the USB charger.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
This might work:

Code:
# echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/gadget/gadget-lun0/ro
(or gadget-lun1 for the microSD card).

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
I have done something similar on my pen drive (RO part, RW part) with NTFS but using ACLs. Since FAT doesn't support ACLs it might be a bit harder to implement on Maemo, wonder if NTFS-3G can be ported to Maemo.