Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
If you have access to 3G or wifi on regular basis, it will work fine, but what about most of the people out there that will not have 3G and some of those also no common wifi access?

1. 800X480 display
2. Flash
3. Desktop browser

Best of worlds, but only for those with good data connections. Anyone try the N900's browser with GSM & Edge? Heck there are some out there with just low end GSM signals probably buying this.

All the Youtube video samples were obviously with good data connections.

Sorry, the "delay" has created a human nature event called "second thoughts" to slowly creep into a corner of the conscience.

I did not appreciate this until today after trying a Droid and comparing Verizon's amazing truly everywhere 3G signal and Tmo not-amazing GSM signal. I really did not know what I was missing, but Tmo really does suck in my great, but low Tmo infrastructure state.

Funny, I always thought Verizon was full of sh$$, but I was wrong once again.

I am keeping Droid for a few weeks, but eating $400 of contract is too much to think about. Nice phone though.

Last edited by Rushmore; 2009-11-14 at 16:34.

That's why people should have different preferences and be mindful when choosing a phone. Nobody said that the N900 is going to be the perfect phone for everybody.If you're starting to have second thoughts you should delay buying the device and wait it out and see whether it is really the thing you want. After all, its quite expensive for a mobile device and you have every right to have second thoughts.

Anyway, I do not see why anyone would buy such a device (it did start as an Internet Tablet) if they won't use it for fast browsing on the move due to various circumstances.

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
I did not appreciate this until today after trying a Droid and comparing Verizon's amazing truly everywhere 3G signal and Tmo not-amazing GSM signal.
Funny, I always thought Verizon was full of sh$$, but I was wrong once again.
Veri$on is kinda fulla sh$$. Good coverage, but $$. I would never get CDMA service anyway.

Also consider that since it's CDMA service:

1. No 3G data usage while on the phone, same as 2G (Edge) with GSM service. IOW, if you have GSM 3G and you're checking emails or doing a file download when you get a call, you answer the call and the 3G data keeps flowing. Not so with CDMA 3G, the data stops 'til you hang up. And many users seem to have problems resuming where they left off.

2. No SIM cards.

3. CDMA is a dead-end technology. Veri$on may be greedy and controlling, but not stupid. They'll lead the way to the changeover to next-gen LTE service, 'cause they know they've gotta dump CDMA soon to stay competitive.

4. T-Mo's 3G network is building out a a furious pace, and will have the most modern equipment - and so is the fastest.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Last edited by Crashdamage; 2009-11-14 at 05:07.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Gunnerz, you hit em all on the mark. Agreed, if they're going to be lacking the speeds and network availability, or even the common sense to use wifi then I don't understand why they bought the phone in the first place.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
This is relatively not a specific issue with N900. It doesn't matter what browser or platform it is as long as the connection is slow. For situations where slow connections are available, I am sure we can disable Flash support or even images. One thing good about the N900 is the possibility to extend the existing functionality easily. For instance the AdBlock implementation. On the PC I am constantly baffled every time I see a friend browsing without AdBlock, there is so much junk I don't see. So I am sure we can improve the browser experience on Maemo much easily to suit slow (GPRS/EDGE) networks than most of the other platforms.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
No, I use the same browser in a slower N810 all day long when I'm away from the desk with only a !9.2 Kbps connection.

Custom, locally stored HTML and CSS tweaks to scrape only the information you need is all it takes.

>> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=28221

>> http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=12

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GunnerzMate View Post
Anyway, I do not see why anyone would buy such a device (it did start as an Internet Tablet) if they won't use it for fast browsing on the move due to various circumstances.
I don't plan to do much browsing and I will have the GSM radio off most of the time.

I quit wasting my money and time on closed computers a long time ago. I want an easily pocketable computer that can make a phone call or a cellualr connection to the internet when no better alternative is available. I have an Openmoko Freerunner, but, for me, the current state of its HW and SW is such that it is a toy and not a tool. It doesn't look like that will change for years.

So, what choice do I have besides a Nokia n900, even though I won't be doing much browsing or phoning? (Android is too closed for me.)

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
Would be nice if you could disable flash by default and then selectively enable it for certain sites you visit.

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
omg... who does not have access to 3g or a wifi hotspot?

I have been working in different countries in south america (brazil, argentina, chile) europe (most nordic countries, uk, spain, portugal) and asia (china, thailand, korea) and the poorer conditions I found would be at least 3g coverage...

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
3. CDMA is a dead-end technology. Veri$on may be greedy and controlling, but not stupid. They'll lead the way to the changeover to next-gen LTE service, 'cause they know they've gotta dump CDMA soon to stay competitive.
So true. CDMA is the betamax of telecom.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.