Notices

that is coolest irc client i've ever seen.

i am quite new to linux world. is there any arm build of it?

Originally Posted by asidana View Post
that is coolest irc client i've ever seen.
Irssi is de facto standard terminal based irc client. Out of curiosity what makes it so cool?

as i said i am very new to linux and life on the command line and looks cool to me. has it got arm build?

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
That is actually ssh connection to server running irssi in screen I've been doing this with N810 and continue to do so with N900.

Ssh client is available for Maemo 5 but irssi isn't yet. At least I coudn't find it. I hope that someone make irssi available for Maemo 5 too. It's the irc client for me.

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
Irssi is de facto standard terminal based irc client. Out of curiosity what makes it so cool?
you can just do anything you like with it! its to IRC what mutt is to email, what centerIM is for IM. perl scripting, multiple windows, bouncing, colours and text style and so on. if you like to work in text-only mode this is your choice for IRC.
the settings you see in the pic are quiet easy!
from top to bottom
channel topic
statusbar with [current channel][nick][activity][dontknow maybe channels]
channel
textinput

the last line is not a typical irssi statusline, as far as I see its a screen statusbar (could be part of irssi but I doubt it)
means: irssi is actualy not running at the n900!
he ssh'ed to another machine were he uses "screen" (another powerfull console tool) to have multiple shells and in one of those is irssi running

Last edited by chemist; 2009-11-17 at 20:12.

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
You are supposed to keep your GNU/Linux equipped server (or desktop) on 24/7 and have it running a SSH server and Irssi in a program called screen. Forward port 22 on your router to the correct IP and they you can simply type
ssh ip_address_here
on any Linux terminal to continue your IRC session. For windows you'll need a client called PuTTY.

More info here