Active Topics

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
Hello.
N900 is not exciting because of its web browsing capabilities, screen, battery life, built in FM receiver or anything else. It’s just hardware, it has very small value. See for yourself, I have no device in my hands but I’m still talking to you right now and not thinking of going anywhere any time soon. The reason n900 is exciting is hiding within. It’s neither the hardware excellence nor the software superiority. The main reason for me why I’m addicted to maemo development is that subliminal feeling when you create something just to create it or help somebody for free. Your app is not converted into cash and die in the sea of cheaper copycats, it just exist and since it’s free and everyone is able to modify it – it lives its own life, meets other people that improve it. And every app is unique since there’s no sence to create same program for free. If you need some functionality – just ask, and if you can do it for yourself – do. Reminds me human behavior a bit.

But more than that, I’m extremely fascinated with maemo community. People that share the same idea and ready to help you whenever you’ll need it. You can stand at the bus stop in the middle of nowhere under the snowstorm, join #maemo channel and you will feel warm like you’re in some safe comfort place already. Your body is still at the bus stop but your brain feels all that passion coming from every corner of the Earth right to your hands. Some people call it “friendship”. You won’t feel anything like this if your only goal is to make as much money as you can.

And these are two things that any other mobile platform can’t give to you. Passion to create, not make money, passion to help, not bury every competitor as fast as you can.

I’m Andrew Zhilin, and this is my voice.

P.S.: Yeah, and n900 has color screen btw!11 OMGW00T!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wazd For This Useful Post: