Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ On the wasatch front, UT USA
I stumbled across a python script woof, or Web Offer One File, the other day in the typical serendipity of the web.

In short, running the python script on a file will start a simple webserver and produce an address you can pass on to a friend in place of emailing it, waving it or dropboxing it. That friend on your local network can drop that address in a browser or use a command like wget and grab the file; the server shuts down and everyone is happy. It also will take a directory, zip, tar/gzip or tar/bzip2 it up and send that along too.

I use this with my wife sometimes on my n800 when we are on our home network, working together and I'm to lazy to drop a file on our shared server. It's a bit more handy when out and about at a coffee shop or library and we need to quickly share something larger than would be reasonable with bluetooth. It works well with all the unixes I tried it on, including my maemo device (n800). Since the Maemo 4 telephony does not support file transfers (I think) I can just use woof to do a transfer while chatting locally with bonjour.

Obviously there are a million and one ways of moving files and directories about, but I like the bare simplicity and utility of this on a local network.

I dropped it into a directory in my path chmod'ed it was good to go. I am not sure what dependencies it needs as my tablet is not handy. I can check if anyone want to use it but can't. If I had the skill or the time it would be cool to see this GUI send option in a file manager of some sort.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to salinmooch For This Useful Post:
That script is fun, thanks for the pointer !
I will try it on my tablet (Diablo) to see if all imports succeed.
It looks like a simple, well-written script, so if something non-essential is missing in pymaemo, it can probably be edited out...

Hmm I wonder if the default n900 chat program has bonjour support (if not it could always be added like MSN/AIM/Yahoo support is).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ On the wasatch front, UT USA
I was able to check and it seems to be fully functional on my diablo n800, able to transfer directories zipped, bzip2ed, and gziped, with the appropiate packages installed: bzip2, zip, gnuzip, gnutar etc.

I'm not a coder so I have no idea which python package it relies on (I have quite a few on my tablet).

Cheers

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
That script is fun, thanks for the pointer !
I will try it on my tablet (Diablo) to see if all imports succeed.
It looks like a simple, well-written script, so if something non-essential is missing in pymaemo, it can probably be edited out...

Same here. I just tried it on my N810 and it ran just fine. But then I have also installed the python-dev package, so I still don't know if the regular pymaemo runtime alone satisfies all the dependencies...

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Avahi would be interesting but a lot of people are quite clueless as to what it can do... A local binary pastebin, as stone-age as it is, has it's appeal. Unfortunately it seems the file manager is too dumb file sharing so it leaves us either with a simple filepicker front-end that can load the url into the clipboard, and maybe an extension for the camera app someday (share via: woof).