Notices

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Copenhagen
Hi everyone!

This is my first post. I am still waiting for my new Nokia n900, but have a couple of questions which I hope someone can answer.

1) Is there an easy way to install emacs 23 on the n900 without compiling it?

2) Is texlive (with XeLaTeX) available for easy install?

Best regards
filologen

Since I am getting my n900 tomorrow, I would really appreciate a response if someone has the slightest idea.

I don't have my n900 yet, but in the older maemo repositories there was a port of emacs and a maemotex package to supply basic TeX. Maybe these will become available for maemo 5 as well.

Your best bet would be easy debian, which is in extras-devel at the moment and should be available soon. With this you should be able to get native TeXlive and emacs working.

It's an interesting topic and definitely one I'm going to explore on my device.

Thanks for your reply, borghal

I'll have a look at easy debian, when it's in the extras-testing repository.

Please report back if you get this to work on your device!

Will do

Just letting you people know that emacs does work from easy debian =D.

However when in emacs23 in gtk, the mode line does not appear. (Had this same problem when emacs23 first came out using openbox on archlinux). Could be a X problem.

emacs23-nox is my preferred package anyways as you can customise the console bar to show buttons you need. Use the esc key combinations... ie: esc v to page up, or get an actual x going.

Esc - x gives you M-x.

Bonus points - copy one of the .desktop files from (can't remember where.. just find it ) to create an application listing so you can use as a shortcut on your desktop.

Then its simply "sudo debian emacs" as command to execute in the .desktop file.

Its possible to use bash by symbolic linking from the easy deb into your own path. Most programs require other shared libraries and I wouldn't go around linking those...

Originally Posted by filologen View Post
Hi everyone!
2) Is texlive (with XeLaTeX) available for easy install?
what is exactly XeLa TeX? I am looking for a LaTeX program for N900.

there is that maemotex. but I do not know yet if it workd properly.

chudood, thanks for the report!

I also installed easy debian yesterday, and after removing a lot of the programs i don't need (e.g. openoffice.org) I managed to install a more or less full texlive with xe(la)tex support right from the repositories. I haven't tested much but everything seems to work just fine

I haven't installed emacs 23 yet, since I actually find Vim more usefull on this little device (never ever thought I should utter such blasphemic words! ) with the n900's not ideal access to special keyboard characters. Vim's modal approach simply seems to function better given these short comings of the device.

I will however also try to install emacs 23 one of these days.

@ acano: Xe(La)TeX is a unicode compatible version of (La)TeX which uses the normal fonts installed on the system. This is usefull for someone like me who works with a lot of very strange characters/glyphs (I'm in the field of mediaval manuscript studies, and in medieval manuscripts you find a lot of characters which cannot be reproduced by standard TeX fonts)

The Following User Says Thank You to filologen For This Useful Post:
Hello filologen. thank youvery much for your help.

I would like use some latex program because i am matematician and We use many non latin symbols. So, it is xetex good enough for my purpouse.

How does it works, shouls I install dvi2ps aplication also.

thanks again!

Originally Posted by filologen View Post
chudood, thanks for the report!

I also installed easy debian yesterday, and after removing a lot of the programs i don't need (e.g. openoffice.org) I managed to install a more or less full texlive with xe(la)tex support right from the repositories. I haven't tested much but everything seems to work just fine

I haven't installed emacs 23 yet, since I actually find Vim more usefull on this little device (never ever thought I should utter such blasphemic words! ) with the n900's not ideal access to special keyboard characters. Vim's modal approach simply seems to function better given these short comings of the device.

I will however also try to install emacs 23 one of these days.

@ acano: Xe(La)TeX is a unicode compatible version of (La)TeX which uses the normal fonts installed on the system. This is usefull for someone like me who works with a lot of very strange characters/glyphs (I'm in the field of mediaval manuscript studies, and in medieval manuscripts you find a lot of characters which cannot be reproduced by standard TeX fonts)

Originally Posted by chudood View Post
However when in emacs23 in gtk, the mode line does not appear. (Had this same problem when emacs23 first came out using openbox on archlinux). Could be a X problem.
I have this problem on debian sid chroot under maemo5 too. I solved it by installing emac23-lucid (which is the non-gtk version) instead of emacs23 (which is the gtk version).