Active Topics

Wait so your trying to take the root and expand it? Your not trying to expand /opt at the expense of the VFAT partition?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

What good is /opt when you want to install from the repos? Everything goes to /usr

Most of the applications in extras are suppose to install to /opt instead of normal root positions like /usr. The problems is when you install applications that haven't been tested (or optified yet) then those applications install to /usr thus eating up root space causing the memory issues.

Right now since most applications are in transition some are still using /usr when they should be transitioning towards using /opt.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Oh, this might be a good pointer. SDK is not extras however, and I wouldn't expect headers to be in /opt

I'll go check rightaway, if that's the case, that would make it much easier, I can symlink /opt to the SD easily and that would be fine...

Nope, from a quick glance at the hildon dev debs for instance, it's all in /usr

Last edited by 白い熊; 2009-11-26 at 00:54.

Running mkfs.ext3 on /dev/mmcblk0p1 currently...

Let's see...

OK, this has worked, now I have 26 Gig of free space on /home in ext3.

Now I'll try to move /usr - on a live system, very tricky, but no way around it. Let's see how it goes...

Is there a way to boot the N900 into pure console mode - recovery or something?

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by 白い熊 View Post
OK, this has worked, now I have 26 Gig of free space on /home in ext3.

Now I'll try to move /usr - on a live system, very tricky, but no way around it. Let's see how it goes...
If I'm not mistaken, under Linux you can copy the filesystem to a new filesystem then "mount -o remount" it. Been a while since I did this so that might not be entirely accurate. Try googling "linux filesystem remount" (or move perhaps).

Oh, you'll have to change /etc/fstab afterwards of course (assuming its used in maemo).

Last edited by adrianp; 2009-11-26 at 12:34.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
I repeat: by installing certain packages from the SDK you'll trash your root filesystem. Use a chroot.

Gcc & headers are probably fine. Anything depending on bash is not.

Rootstrap is what the SDK unpacks on a target before attempting to apt-get.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
I repeat: by installing certain packages from the SDK you'll trash your root filesystem. Use a chroot.
You are right, I can confirm this. I had to reflash about 20 times, but I did succeed in compiling Emacs, it doesn't compile in scratchbox. However, yeah the root filesystem did go to hell and the N900 couldn't be rebooted. But now I have working GNU Emacs on the N900, yes!

Sorta reminds me of Angstrom on the Zaurus, it had the same symptoms, every once in a while you'd install a package and it would hose the whole system, no way around it...

Gcc & headers are probably fine. Anything depending on bash is not.
So I thought, as it conflicts with busybox...

Rootstrap is what the SDK unpacks on a target before attempting to apt-get.
How can I generate a file system for chroot? This'll be easy, set up a directory on the MicroSD for the chroot. Is there a rootfs for download?