Active Topics

Hi all my first post but have been following the forum since the N900 was announced. Background phone companies, I phone hop and am not loyal to one brand.
- Sony
- LG
- SHARP
- Nokia

Firstly I really couldn't care less about delays, I always expect the worse with a new release with anything. I love computer games and they get delayed alllllllllllllllllll the time, so I’m pretty used to it really so when they said it was going to be released on x month I already added a few months on top of that in my head. Either way the delays have been frustrating but not enough to turn me away from the phone. More on this later.

However I am with U.ser when I say due to the sudden surge in pissed of people it made me doubt if the N900 is for me. I’m not a techi, I’m in computing but do not program but can get myself around a machine with confidence so learning how to download stuff from the Extras and give it a go etc doesn't phase me. In fact it’s what attracts me to it being able to add what I want, generally **** about with the device and make it my own (maybe a closet techi).

It also very encouraging to have an UBER geeky (really don’t mean any offence by this) online community. That although at times can shoot people down, seem to be very helpful if you approach them in the correct manner. I.e. don’t go starting a thread called "yes it sucks" but go on to say how you will be keeping the phone. I have been laughing my *** off on that thread.
Before anyone starts I DO NOT WANT AN IPHONE. I respect it’s a good phone and yes there are different opinions about good. For me the sales say it all really (although let’s face it a lot of that is image but if it sells ). I hate following the crowd I do not want a phone every1 has got. I like being an individual and having something different. Ironically I bit the bullet and bought an iPod touch when it first came out. I couldn’t resist it was shiny and so smooth. Most of all I hate the smugness of iphone users (massive generalization I know) but I have to say I have been seeing some blind loyalty to the N900 on here which in my books is just as bad. Not all just a few.

So I must admit I have been slightly unbalanced by the recent threads I have been seeing about this and that. To be honest I started to look around. Now this is where the delays are pissing me off. No phone shop, not one (I’m down on the south coast UK), knew about the N900 until prob about a week or so ago. I was explaining to them what the phone was and all I kept hearing was "yes but symbian is so old".REALLY NOW, I laughed in his face until he looked it up on his hero. I’m not sure if this is Nokia not releasing information or the phones shops hiring stupid people who couldn’t care less about what they are selling.
To be honest there isn’t too much to see that has given me the feeling as the N900. Below I am deliberately only naming bad things I don’t want to review every phone

- HD2 has been getting some great reviews but when it boils down to it its most reviews still says its winmo and as I keep seeing around the net you can’t polish a turd. Maybe a bit harsh.
- Iphone, YAWN next
- Sony satio, I left these back with the k800i and they have not seemed to change since. It was a great phone but it’s the next in line lacked everything the k800i had. They seem to have just added a good camera. I also here its launch has been very up and down as well
- Droid, yuk yuk yuk yuk this simply comes down to aesthetics and I really think this phone is ugly. I have never had a Motorola so may be good, meh I will never find out.

So you’re probably thinking by now, get to the ****ing point . Well what I am trying to say is **** it I’m going to go for it. As soon as it’s available I’m going to dive head first into the land of Maemo 5 and I hope the waters warm. The N900 does more than enough to keep me interested and more than anything I think........think I can see the potential to this open source you all keep raving on about :P. I am going to take the risk that the geek squad will get on the case and get those apps rolling.

So for anyone out there sitting on the fence. **** it, buy the damn thing you’re not going to lose you closest loved one if you don’t like it. It’s not a house people it’s a phone if you don’t get along with it (hey I might thinks its rubbish after writing this life story to you all), then take it back or sell it on, from the buzz alone this will sell on EBay in no time. if you like buy a different phone and try that out but do give the N900 a go. all the videos in the world cannot beat hands on experience. Dont dwell on the negatives of any phone look at the positives first. if then things start to piss you off u know you have given it a go. im not saying try every phone out there, i mean there are a lot more phones then the few i listed above. Theses were just the ones that caught my eye.

The way things are looking in the UK anyway I could be waiting some time before the phone starts shipping and I think other than voda and tmob the other carriers are very wary due to the N97. This gives me more than enough time to keep reading reviews, posts, photos, videos, pop in store and have a play but also keep an eye on the competition. u never know in the time it takes for Nokia UK to sort it out, a competitor may catch my eye.

Yes , I cant spell or use grammar for ****, if we could get past that part . You’re not the first to point it out and certainly won’t be the last, that is if its legible, if not then by all means slate me . Jesus .H. Christ this is the longest post known to mankind

Lost me at "this is my first post." Anyway, I'm not reading this (can't be bothered) but still - welcome to the forums.

touché, why does this need to be ten characters

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by Neegs View Post
touché, why does this need to be ten characters
Otherwise, Christexaport would have 50,000 posts by now.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Cliff Notes: Buy the N900

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Take the extreme complaints AND extreme praise with a grain or three of salt. The N900 experience lies in between, and your spot on the line will vary.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
A million people can make a million reviews... Odds are? Not one of them will portray EXACTLY how you feel about the device.

I agree... Buy it, can always sell if you don't like it but don't slate until you've tried!

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Welcome. Sounds like you have a pretty healthy attitude there. Good luck finding an n900.

Originally Posted by nirave View Post
A million people can make a million reviews... Odds are? Not one of them will portray EXACTLY how you feel about the device.

I agree... Buy it, can always sell if you don't like it but don't slate until you've tried!
Personally I won't buy it until I can play with it in a store somewhere like BestBuy. $600 on a 14 day return is a big gamble.

And also, I'd like to wait until it gets more official reviews, like on Cnet etc, Engadget (a full review), BoyGenius etc.

And for the crazy shipping debacles to be resolved.

Last edited by johnnyrockets911; 2009-11-28 at 09:11.

enjoy your n900 when you get it

Tags
wild postaholic