Active Topics

Before I go any further I think it prudent to say my N900 has 0 hardware or software faults. And worked flawlessly since I hit the power switch. Leading me to say (again) with confidence that the N900 is without a doubt the best device I have ever owned. To compare it with any other device on/soon to arrive on the market is in my view, complete lunacy.

However, my experience on maemo.org...

In fact, before I go into that let me start at the beginning. It's no secret that I've been on a quest to get an emulator and roms working on my N900. I have requested information/help both publicly and privately only to be laughed at or receive pm's which state, and I quote, "This process is not meant for end users like yourself"

So I did what any end users (EU) would do and searched youtube. And to my surprise found supernes and sega genesis emulators working flawlessly on the Motorola droid. So after a few tube pms I was lead to a droid forum & after my first post was contacted by a member/lurker of maemo.org

Who explained to me that the reason info is so closely guarded here is because of the basic need geeks have to feel superior to others. And since the N900 is far more advanced than other devices it's a revenge of the nerds kinda thing.

But that aside gave me the step by step guide on how to install an emulator called snesoid and some roms.

Which leads me to wonder, what is the future for the N900? With this being the only maemo forum available (That I know of) And it's most experienced users refusing to help those less experienced. Or palming them off with technicalities. Instead of posting a "How To" thread with an accompanying disclaimer.

And yes I am a EU. My only experience with maemo is the N900. My experience of linux begins and ends with firefox. But what I do know is that in this market. The success or failure rests on the users and community.

And as open as the N900 is, in my experience a large portion of maemo's members are closed.

I'm sure some will sign and tell me that my experience here is invalid. Or more hilariously that the "Not for end users" quote doesn't litter the board.

But most likely they'll focus on the emulator/ nintendo exploring legal action. However before you do please be aware that I'm using the emulator as an example as I have also requested info on other apps/processes. Most recently on how to get a maemo/unique animation for the boot screen and umm...

Guess what I was told?

In closing this community will be built on the backs of end users. And while I'll never give up my N900 I doubt many users will remain loyal once they realize just how closed this place actually is.

Just my thoughts.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to maemojedi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 498 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Poland
Some of the emulators are still in extras-devel, a repository not meant for end-users. We don't want you to brick your device, that's why no-one told you how to get your beloved emulator. Be patient.

Just my thoughts.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Tomaszd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
there are no nerds here

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by maemojedi View Post
Who explained to me that the reason info is so closely guarded here is because of the basic need geeks have to feel superior to others.
***************. Utter, utter ***************. No-one's talking about emulators here at the moment because Maemo, the N900, and Nokia have just become the subject of some unwanted attention on the subject from Nintendo, who aren't very happy. No-one (other than, apparently, you) wants to make the problem any worse than it is, for our own sakes, and for the sake of Nokia, without who's support maemo.org would be in serious jeopardy.

It sucks for you, like it sucks for all of us, but FFS have a little understanding.

Last edited by ewan; 2009-11-28 at 20:54.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
MaemoJedi, interesting post. I agree with some parts, but i think you need to understand how other systems have worked in the past....
Iphone took a good year to get the fuss and attention it is getting now, before that the apps weren't that great!

Linux, going back alot further took a long time to get as main stream as it is now. Yes, some developers can be protective.

But my experience here is that most of them are working on many projects at one time. And they are doing in (Mainly) for free, as supposed to Iphone/Windows based phone software peoples...

I have to admit my first thought on here is to learn some more coding myself. I have to admit i've been in IT for 15 years, and would consider myself pretty techy. Even with that it doesn't look easy - so learning to listen to them more
I'd suggest helping the coders help you. If you are unable to learn the coding, start being descriptive with what you want, and be willing to wait. Nothing will come out soon - as a lot of people are working on the key functions of a phone that is not even full available yet (Sorry, MPD customer here!)

Take a step back and look at the time frames and timescales - i'm very sure, as mentioned by other people here that emulators are important to people, so will get completed

Good luck in getting one sorted, but would recommend a slightly more constructive and patient approach in the future

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Before you say anything else, I have to point out the hilarity that yesterday the two top threads on this forum's latest posts section where:

- "Where I can download ROMs?" (maemojedi's thread)
- "Nintendo maybe going to sue Nokia for emulators"

(not the original thread titles, but my own views of the topics)

And maemojedi's was even COMPLAINING that we weren't sending the ROMs to him! I personally would've just closed the thread and be done with it. Maybe you would've liked the "copyright czar"'s email so that you could direct your question to him?

-------------

That said, you have to consider this previously was a hacker forum, and that your assumption that there are no other Maemo forums is wrong. If you think we don't cater enough to people who don't bother to Google for a few minutes, I'm sure you'll find a forum for you.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
This is the official N900 forum. Please direct all you questions of possibly illigal roms and such to somewhere else.

You can't compare an official forum to a 1337 h4x0r w4r3z forum, sadly.

Last edited by joppu; 2009-11-28 at 21:13.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joppu For This Useful Post:
@Ewan: Firstly there no need for cursing & secondly, I and others were asking long before Nintendo decided to explore legal actions.

@ Tomaszd I have it courtesy of the droid forums.

@ noobmonkey I'm not talking about developers. I'm referring to those who know how to install/run processes a little more complicated than users like myself may (initially) understand.

I figured people would jump up and down screaming about the emulator but I say again. I have also asked for help on other areas and was met with a big fat NO. I'm not here to disrespect people, swear yada yada

I'm just posting about my experience here.

The Following User Says Thank You to maemojedi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Is It Threads Asking Stupid Questions That Is Making Talk A ********?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
this makes me lol like no other. cry because people dont just throw everything you want at you, then turn it around on the community? ****ing horsecrap man. your only competition is yourself. google things for crying out loud....

The Following User Says Thank You to phreck For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemocannonfodder, maemoredshirt, sell crack for n900 money