Notices

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I just realized the file browser sucks. I had to use the GPE file manager for that. is there a way to make the default browser see all files, or what browser is recommended? I found GPE to hide everything too. had to type in the location. Is this a joke?? On a computer?

Last edited by christexaport; 2009-11-30 at 17:00.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
I just realized the file browser sucks. I had to use the GPE file manager for that. is there a way to make the default browser see all files, or what browser is recommended? I found GPE to hide everything too. had to type in the location. Is this a joke?? On a computer?
Well Windows file manager sucks too and it's on a computer. =P. But I agree for a Linux system the file manager hides way to much in its attempt to not be confusing to people. Don't know what alternatives exist on the n900 yet. On the n800 I use emelFM2

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

how does explorer suck? I can view any file on my system with explorer. maemo 5's file explorer blocks the entire system.

Any alternative ways around this? Along with lack of flv support, this is another deal breaker. I can't believe how stupid Nokia was in doing that

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
how does explorer suck? I can view any file on my system with explorer. maemo 5's file explorer blocks the entire system.

Any alternative ways around this? Along with lack of flv support, this is another deal breaker. I can't believe how stupid Nokia was in doing that
I see it both ways. For "this is a phone" people, the file browser is nice. An end user who just had "Extras" enabled probably doesn't need to know anything about ".*" filed.. For "this is a hackable toy" its not good. We can create alt file managers but too bad there isn't a good way to have a plugin for simple/advanced file browser dialogs.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2009-11-30 at 18:48. Reason: Splitting post after partial move to new thread

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Well Windows file manager sucks too and it's on a computer. =P.
How does the Windows file manager suck?
I'm running Win7 and it does pretty much everything I need.
The native file manager in maemo does indeed suck though - but EmelFM2 often saves the day.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tintin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by epage View Post
I'm not on -community . I do see that both dev's and users would have input into such a thing. I guess I'm not familiar enough with brainstorming. I guess this weekend you will get to indoctrinate me on it.

I see it both ways. For "this is a phone" people, the file browser is nice. An end user who just had "Extras" enabled probably doesn't need to know anything about ".*" filed.. For "this is a hackable toy" its not good. We can create alt file managers but too bad there isn't a good way to have a plugin for simple/advanced file browser dialogs.
it seems toonly support My Docs, so call it a My Docs File browser, or add an option for full access. I doubt anyone coming from another OS will like it. Who used the Symbian file browser? nO one. everyone used Xplore, Jukka, or Activefile.

what are you guys using? GPE seems made for N810, and hides stuff, but tocan type in locations, just not browse

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
it seems toonly support My Docs, so call it a My Docs File browser, or add an option for full access. I doubt anyone coming from another OS will like it. Who used the Symbian file browser? nO one. everyone used Xplore, Jukka, or Activefile.

what are you guys using? GPE seems made for N810, and hides stuff, but tocan type in locations, just not browse
I use the command prompt

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
The stealth post mover strikes again!

He must have had a hand in the File Manager development.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
You edit the MYDOCSDIR variable. Doing so, however, is not only stupid but may cause problems. Anyway, since the File Manager runs as "user", how do you propose to manipulate files outside of /home/user?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
The stealth post mover strikes again!
The discussion had little to do with DialCentral, is of general concern, and will find more eyeballs out here on its own.

That done, I was never here. *whoosh*

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post: