Active Topics

Notices

Are we going to be able to use imap idle on n900 in the next update?

I just need that instant push :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to bAxon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Is this what S60 devices already have? On my old phone I can leave the IMAP malibox connected and will receive any emails as soon as they arrive. If that is what your talking about then I seroiously hope so because I havnt beenable to get a reliable mailbx connection so faron the N900.
What is you current email running like on the N900? What problem do you have with the current set up.

right now imap idle is disabled.

Yes basically it is a push email implementation by imap. Google supports it in Google Apps and Gmail. It is a simple way to have a push email notification

Posts: 150 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Pennsylvania, US
We don't have it already? That's about the most important IMAP feature on a resource limited device, and should be implemented by all decent mobile e-mails clients (I'm looking at you too, Pocket Outlook). Scheduled syncs (every x minutes) waste battery life, and manual syncs mean you don't know when you get new mail - I gave both up and hacked together a SMS push system to force manual syncs when the mailbox changes on my Touch Pro, but it's still ugly. I was really hoping to get away from something like that.

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oklahoma
IMAP was poorly implemented on the N810. It chokes on large mailboxes. You still have to use claws to get decent IMAP support on OS2008. If Nokia still hasn't gotten it right with the N900 I don't hold out much hope for you guys. Hope I am wrong.

so now we know that Nokia is not a phone (as some people claim) but Internet device that does not do email well ??

do I really have to pay $9/mo and get hosted MS exchange account?

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by bAxon View Post
so now we know that Nokia is not a phone (as some people claim) but Internet device that does not do email well ??

do I really have to pay $9/mo and get hosted MS exchange account?
Is Nokia Messaging available for you? Make an account at email.nokia.com and choose Nokia Messaging as provider in the N900 e-mail application.

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oviedo, Florida
If you need imap-idle support, then consider voting for bug #3888.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dba For This Useful Post:
Posts: 296 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York City
I'm gonna go ahead and say fixed in Harmattan. Just like putting sent/drafts on the IMAP server...

Posts: 150 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Pennsylvania, US
+1 vote for #3888.

The Following User Says Thank You to rewt For This Useful Post: