Notices

I downloaded Vim, which I really love, but its not working very well with my Norwegian keyboard. While Vi works just fine, Vim types out an M when I hit the return key, and an D (or something) when I hit the down key..

Any way to configure or solve this?

Posts: 516 | Thanked: 643 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Denmark/Poland
Try
Code:
:set nocompatible
There are also some other issues with vim, haven't really researched them as I primarily use vi

[edit] you can also add
Code:
:set backspace=2
[edit2] to have those changes saved, create file .vimrc in your home folder (/home/user and /root if you are using the latter) and put there

Code:
set nocompatible
set backspace=2
this should make vim more-less usable
Oh, and this is not Norwegian-keyboard related, I have the same issue on my 'standard' layout.

Useful links for newcomers:
Użyteczne linki:
Nowi użyktownicy mówią cześć | New members say hello , Tu zaczynają nowi użytkownicy | New users start here, Podforum społeczności | Community subforum, Wiki dla początkujących | Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Często zadawane pytania | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), Google

Jeżeli mogę w czymś pomóc, pytaj!
If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Bored? Follow me

Last edited by hopbeat; 2009-12-05 at 13:11.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hopbeat For This Useful Post:
Your fix works for me, thanks hopbeat. But since I always like to know what I'm actually doing there, could you maybe elaborate a little on what those two commands actually do and why they work on the N900?

Thanks.

P.S.: yes, I know, RTFM, but the vim-manpages are like 500 pages long and I have no clue what I'm looking for, so it would probably take me days to figure it out on my own. I'm hoping for the easy way out, which would be someone already posessing this knowledge taking 3 minutes to explain it to me

In vim:
:he compatible
:he bs

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Cross-linking with other relevant thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=443492