Active Topics

Notices

I'm waiting for a real release of a complete (allowing editing) release of an office suite (documents, spreadsheets, presentations). Who will win the run, the much announced but still unseen koffice, the "bloated" but complete openoffice, the already ported on previous tablet abiworld+gnumeric, or a commercial software as dataviz docstogo or quickoffice?

The Following User Says Thank You to yupa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I believe all of them are in development, and don't be surprised if Microsoft Office makes an appearance, either. I'd be willing to bet Dataviz wins out. But they're all waiting on DRM for license handling. I'm sure they're all ready.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
don't be surprised if Microsoft Office makes an appearance, either.
MIcrosoft releasing a native Linux version of MS Office? Suprised would be an understatement of my feelings, if such a thing happened. Hell, freezing point of water and so forth.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Two words: Easy Debian.

Qole FTW.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hannover, Germany

I'm confused about Easy Debian. Is it in the repositories? I saw something about Debian chroot and something else, but wasn't sure of its functionality. Qole!! Come tell us about your great creation.

I'm confused about Easy Debian. Is it in the repositories? I saw something about Debian chroot and something else, but wasn't sure of its functionality. Qole!! Come tell us about your great creation.
It should be in Extras. Easy Debian is a virtualized full Debian environment which runs on top of Maemo, and contains all Debian goodies: Open Office, Gimp, etc.

It runs a bit slow on a N8x0, but it runs, let's remember a N8x0 has approximately the processing power of a Pentium II.

Due to the UI changes in Maemo 5, ED is not fully ready for the N900, but I think Qole is working on that.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Silicon Valley
I thought I had read that KOffice was fully baked for Maemo 5. Certainly DRM can't be used as an excuse to delay its release. Did I miss something and it's a viewer only?

Not KOffice, but Dataviz. Since its a paid app, they only have read only until either Nokia licenses the full app or they get DRM so we can buy it.

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Not KOffice, but Dataviz. Since its a paid app, they only have read only until either Nokia licenses the full app or they get DRM so we can buy it.
Why do they need Nokia to license the whole thing or "get a drm so we can buy it"?

Can´t they just use some code on the device mac address or imei to generate a unlock code for the office application?

Do they need to disclose the code if they don´t want to? Isn´t partially open source and partially not fine?

There´s no DRM on my PC applications. I can copy installation files back and forth and then just enter license codes. Why do I need one for my phone ones? I seriously don´t understand all this DRM wanking with mobile apps.

Last edited by olighak; 2009-12-06 at 02:00.