Hi guys,

not sure if I'm supposed to notify this here or at Nokia itself. So I'll try at the maemo booth first.

Today I (yet again, second time so it's a serious thingy) experienced a bug during normal use of my Nokia N900 / Nokia BH-905 (bluetooth headset). The end result being my headset crashing and me needing to totally reset it before I can pair it with the n900 again.

In Chronological order:

1. starting the mediaplayer playing a tune or a video (doesn't matter which)

2. A incoming phonecall takes place, all's well. They can hear me, I can hear them. Conversation takes place and the call ends normally.

3. Now **** hits the fan. The mediaplayer can't reuse the audio stream because it says it's in use. If I open up the phone app it states the connection isn't in use, I try to make another phonecall to see if that works. Result: connection is made, but I can't hear anything, they can't hear me through the headset.

4. When I try to disconnect the headset in the N900 and reconnect it, it doesn't respond in any way.

5. I have to manually reset the headset as it's fully unresponsive. (Press volume down, back and the multifunctional key)

After doing this I can re-pair the headset with the n900 and use it normally again. For phonecalls and mediaplaying. As long as I don't have a song running in the background when I'm receiving a call (and probably making a call, not yet tested) it's working.

Please tell me how to proceed with this.
I'm a fairly well suited linux user, so I can cough up any logfiles you want from places where I haven't found them yet or turn on debug modes I don't know about.

The Following User Says Thank You to jrkalf For This Useful Post:
bump. Any clues people?

Originally Posted by jrkalf View Post
bump. Any clues people?
This bug ?

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3293

Sorry Mikec,

It's not the bug. This goes a bit harsher even. It really crashes the entire functionality of the BH-905. I have to reset the BH-905 in order to use it again with _any_ device. With any I mean having tested it with other phones and my laptop prior to doing a reset.

I don't have this issue with connecting and reconnecting during normal operations. This also includes disconnecting or connecting halfway a phonecall or such.

This is purely a bug directly related to the combination of the mediaplayer and the phone application as far as I've seem to have found out. I'd take any hints for further investigation or do I have to post this directly to the maemo bugs page?

Posts: 303 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
I made a call last night whilst music was playing. The call rang and rang and I eventually hung up. The music didn't start back up again..

I also noticed that the headphones weren't beeping when I hit the play/pause button.. I also found I couldn't turn them on and the blue light stopped flashing.. hmm

when I got home, a brief google revealed this thread and someone else mentioning reseting the head phones..

I tried the three button reset, nothing happened.. no lights or noises..

I put them on charge.. I tried resetting again.. nothing.. puzzled and a bit more googling later I tried "turning them on".. they turned on and I was able to start the music playing again (I'd paused it when I realised nothing was working)

Thing is, this has happened only once and I do use them a fair bit.. It actually seemed more like the battery was flat (and yet I charge them daily and use them for at most 3 hours)

I didn't need to re-pair and I didn't need to restart the phone.. I pressed the play pause button and the music started again..

I have found that the headphones perform terribly when wifi is active.. out on the street using 3g they're better than they were with the N97 I was using previously!

Originally Posted by cpitchford View Post
I also noticed that the headphones weren't beeping when I hit the play/pause button.. I also found I couldn't turn them on and the blue light stopped flashing.. hmm

I tried the three button reset, nothing happened.. no lights or noises..
Cool to see I'm not the only one. (Doesn't make it any better, but it means I'm not imagining things.)

For me, I had my last crash yesterday evening. I did the reset once and followed the exact order as stated in the BH-905 manual: Volume down first, then (while keeping it pressed) add the back button, and finally add the press on the multifunctional button. Keep it pressed for 15 seconds or more (was my own input, and it makes sure it does the work properly and in one go).

Posts: 303 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
hmm. its doing it more often!!! Seems to be more common after a long call, rather than a short one.. grrr

I've had one unrelated to the mediaplayer now too.

I had a crash while pressing the multifuntional key (to end the phone call) while the other party hung up at the exact same time.

This one also caused my Bluetooth stack to completely crash. It took a reboot of my machine to start the bluetooth stack correctly again and show my paired devices again.

Perhaps we need to make a bug report on this one?

Jelle.

bh903 work fine for me

edit..
bh903 makes random phone calls to the last person on the call list like voice dialing is malfuntioning

Last edited by swagger; 2009-12-20 at 20:11.

My BH-905 crashes too. :-( on the N900.

mostly if I move the phone out of range and then back again. Then the BH-905 requires a complete reset.