Active Topics

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Como, Italy
Hey everyone,

I have lost 30 euros in 23 hours to the Nokia messaging service.

I have a data package, but it seems that it does not cover Nokia Messaging.

I'm pissed off and this is ******ed, as now I'm going to use Gmail website and use maybe 20 times the bandwidth.

Be aware for additional costs involved by your GSM service providers when using Nokia messaging.

The Following User Says Thank You to smage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
What is it doing that you pay for? Do you pay for incoming SMS? It may uses SMS for notifications, as seven.com do. That is a good way to avoid keeping a tcp connection open for push-mail.

SERVIZIO INTERNET***
Traffico Internet
Traffico UMTS -- 1 Scatto 0,500000

Basically considering as UMTS traffic and charging 0.5 € each.
That is crazy.

Pre-paid (pay-as-you go) cards are beautiful! Even if something does go wrong, you can't lose more than your credit of a few $/euros

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 498 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Poland
So every time your phone connects using 3G, you pay 50 eurocents? This is not an issue of Nokia Messaging. Nokia Messaging is "Internet access", if your provider wants you to pay 50 eurocents per every initiated 3G session, then it's not a problem of Nokia Messaging, or your provider, your lack of knowledge is the problem. How did you think you get your e-mail from Nokia Messaging? Via what?

Originally Posted by Tomaszd View Post
So every time your phone connects using 3G, you pay 50 eurocents? This is not an issue of Nokia Messaging. Nokia Messaging is "Internet access", if your provider wants you to pay 50 eurocents per every initiated 3G session, then it's not a problem of Nokia Messaging, or your provider, your lack of knowledge is the problem. How did you think you get your e-mail from Nokia Messaging? Via what?
No you have misunderstood me.

I already have a data package and don't pay for it.

However, my operator categorizes the PUSH data as soemthing different, and charges me extra. I have downloaded more than a gigabyte and have not paid anything, except for this thing

Originally Posted by smage View Post
No you have misunderstood me.

I already have a data package and don't pay for it.

However, my operator categorizes the PUSH data as soemthing different, and charges me extra. I have downloaded more than a gigabyte and have not paid anything, except for this thing
Woah! That's crazy and possibly a grey area legally (or plain illegal) unless they publicize the fact very clearly.

That is why I created this thread tbh, I want to see if there are other operators doing this sort thing.

Originally Posted by smage View Post
That is why I created this thread tbh, I want to see if there are other operators doing this sort thing.
I've never heard of something like that. Dont know about the Italian law, but hidden costs like that are generally not allowed in most other EU countries as far as I'm aware, or at least it needs to be very clearly stated and not hidden in small print in the middle of a paragraph.

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
I've just been googling, and can only find mention of two ways to "push" email. Either IMAP idle, or by a hidden SMS (OTA-WSP ).
Are there any other ways?

Do italian telecos charge for incoming international SMS?

The Nokia FAQ http://email.nokia.com/account/faq.action lacks technical detail:

What is Nokia Messaging?
Nokia Messaging makes email easy and mobilizes consumer email across a range of Nokia S60 devices. Nokia Messaging enables users to quickly set up, access, and use their email on their Nokia devices through a service that is optimized for mobile email.

* Automatic delivery of email using the IMAP idle protocol
* Efficient data usage
How much does Nokia Messaging cost?
You may incur charges in connection with the transfer and receipt of data to your mobile phone and may not be included in your flat data rate plan. Please contact your operator to know how much you will be charged.
(my bold)
My teleco (3AU) offers nokia-email as a separate unmetered service included in packages from $5/month. But I'd have thought you'd have to download their customised client to use that, and it would go through their proxy server, to be separated from other internet traffic.

Last edited by myk; 2009-12-13 at 05:43.