Poll: Would you use the N900 as a fax?
Poll Options
Would you use the N900 as a fax?

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Just wondering if the N900 has any sort of built-in fax capability. Admittedly I do not use this primitive technology often, but having travelled back in time (westward across the Atlantic), I would like to have that option.

The few times I needed to send a fax, I just plugged whatever landline I had access to into my laptop's modem and used print-to-fax. Should be even simpler to do with a computer with built-in phone. Plus, modern laptops don't come with analog modems any longer...

The Following User Says Thank You to Sopwith For This Useful Post:
Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
Just wondering if the N900 has any sort of built-in fax capability. Admittedly I do not use this primitive technology often, but having travelled back in time (westward across the Atlantic), I would like to have that option.

The few times I needed to send a fax, I just plugged whatever landline I had access to into my laptop's modem and used print-to-fax. Should be even simpler to do with a computer with built-in phone. Plus, modern laptops don't come with analog modems any longer...
Haha, in the US of A they still do include analog fax modems on laptops. I havenīt used one of these things since 2001-2002 but itīs still on my brand new laptop.

Yes welcome to back in time. We have fax machines, telephone and electrical wires above the surface and even use checks for payment!

We also have Bulgarian and Ukranian style housing over much of the south. Run down shacks "improved" with cardboard and plywood and backyards filled with rusty junk.

In the US of 2009 you can party like itīs the early 90īs somewhere in former soviet eastern Europe! Most of the natives of this developing country, having never been to the first world countries, will still proclaim to be best in the world. Suggest that theyīd learn something from the Canadians or the Europeans and listen to them huff and puff at the suggestion that they could learn something from foreigners.

Going back to subject, unfortunately the N900 does not currently have any sort of faxing ability. You might consider using a service like e-fax for that (efax.com). That way you can email a document, from the N900, to your efax "fax machine" and itīll spit out a fax at the recipient.

Last edited by olighak; 2009-12-12 at 18:28.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to olighak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Originally Posted by olighak View Post
Yes welcome to back in time. We have fax machines, telephone and electrical wires above the surface and even use checks for payment!
Indeed. Recent advances include the possibility to transfer money between bank accounts electronically (as the e-mail I received from my bank informed me last week), and the idea to inform about waiting times in the NY subway.

We also have Bulgarian and Ukranian style housing over much of the south. Run down shacks "improved" with cardboard and plywood and backyards filled with rusty junk.
I feel compelled to add that Bulgaria and Ukraine were devastated by a world war, and then had an economically inviable political system imposed on their population. What is USA's excuse?

Unfortunately the N900 does not currently have any sort of faxing ability. You might consider using a service like e-fax for that (efax.com). That way you can email a document, from the N900, to your efax "fax machine" and itīll spit out a fax at the recipient.
Thanks, I may research those services, should I ever need one again.

Last edited by Sopwith; 2009-12-12 at 19:07. Reason: correct spelling

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sopwith For This Useful Post:
The faxing ability direct from device it's not supported in 3G networks so the last Nokia phone has send/receive fax was 9300i. I have faxnumber which is next from my cellnumber and received faxes are forwarded to my e-mail as pdf's. Sending is another story , only online and very basic text.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Random For This Useful Post:
Posts: 15 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Italy
Doesn't a fax-machine only perform a digital-to-analog conversion and sends it over a phone network with soundmodulation?
If this is true, I mean if the fax works just like an old 56k modem did, maybe someone could write an application that converts your document / pdf / image to the special format required by the fax-machines, than calls the dest number and "talks" like a real fax.

I googled a little, but I wasn't able to find fax specs.

L-

The Following User Says Thank You to morusaka For This Useful Post:
Yep, you'll want to get with the 21st century and use an email/fax gateway service. You cannot fax over (non-analog) cellular.

The Following User Says Thank You to schettj For This Useful Post:
Hi
I use www.popfax.com on the pc , as it is browser based it should work on the N900

The Following User Says Thank You to 12vibes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 15 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by Dak View Post
As I understand it, most modern cellular voice/VoIP networks utilize lossy compression to save bandwidth - which screws up your fax data.
Ok, thank you, I didn't think of the lossy compression.
Anyway I've found a discussion on another forum where someone says that you can send fax over a GSM network if your carrier allows it (the carrier implements the fax protocol). Chances are that you have to pay for this extra service.

I don't know if it is allowed to post link to other forums, anyway I found the thread with the help of google searching for "send fax gsm".

Later in the morning I could ask my carrier if it allows it and if I have to pay extra money.

L-

The Following User Says Thank You to morusaka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
Originally Posted by olighak View Post
Haha, in the US of A they still do include analog fax modems on laptops. I havenīt used one of these things since 2001-2002 but itīs still on my brand new laptop.

In the US of 2009 you can party like itīs the early 90īs somewhere in former soviet eastern Europe! Most of the natives of this developing country, having never been to the first world countries, will still proclaim to be best in the world. Suggest that theyīd learn something from the Canadians or the Europeans and listen to them huff and puff at the suggestion that they could learn something from foreigners.

Going back to subject, unfortunately the N900 does not currently have any sort of faxing ability. You might consider using a service like e-fax for that (efax.com). That way you can email a document, from the N900, to your efax "fax machine" and itīll spit out a fax at the recipient.
Yes we "developing Americans", where would we be...how about everyone else gives us back the "internet" and you guys can go back to "mail", you know the thing that goes into an envelope and a stamp goes in the right upper corner.

I loath how Europeans think all Americans are ignorant, self-righteous, self-involved, ethnocentric individualistic asstards, when I've met more Europeans who are so full of themselves it makes us "Americans" look like noobs in the category.
Everyone has something to learn from ALL societies - just because Europe has been around longer doesn't mean their isn't anything it can be taught and teach for that matter. If you don't like it here, just go back to Denmark or Iceland!?!?!?!?

Back to the topic though - Faxing isn't just used in US, it's used all over the world. A good 98% of the business cards I pick up when overseas when away on business ( Japan, Thailand, Sinagpore, Ireland, Scotland, UK ) have fax numbers on them, so I'm assuming faxes are still used in those "1st world countries."

/end flame/troll

-Socrates 469 BC

Last edited by spinnukur; 2010-01-14 at 07:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to spinnukur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
sure, you can have "internet", but leave "world wide web" in europe, thank you very much

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:

Tags
faxing, nokia n900