Notices

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
My original lust for Nokia Nseries devices started with the N90. It was the best videophone on the market, with a full editing suite. The N95-1 raised that bar, adding full transitions and other effects. But strangely, Nokia removed those features from future N95 variants, and they never appeared on another device again.

With the cameras we have, we really need an editing suite, complete with titling, format and resolution conversion, transitions, dedicated audio track management, and maybe a few effects.

Anyone else needing or wanting this feature? Shouldn't there be an "Edit Video" option in the menu for the N900 Media Player?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Right. My only S0 device so far is the 6110 Navigator (not even NSeries), but it does have a pretty decent, simple video editor that lets me at least cut clips and re-arrange them to make a new movie. It also has two basic effects for transitions.

I remember reading somewhere that later models have worse or no video editing, and it is very irritating we don't find anything like this on the N900... after all, one of the the main points of the device is to share media. I will not share unedited video material. I need to cut the last 2 seconds when somebody walked into the picture. I want to use a second clip i shot afterwards as a 3-seconds-intro. I want to be able to use the soundtrack of one clip for the whole movie. And finally, I need to be able to change its resolution/size so it will upload via 3G in reasonable time.

I don't say something like this has to be available out of the box (although I'd like it), but it should certainly be available for the platform. As video editing is one of the weak spots even on desktop GNU/Linux, I don't expect much community support here, though.

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
i think the N900 does need the basic apps in each area
Image editor
Video Editor

Missing both at the mo

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
This was featured in planet.maemo.org a while back:

http://blogs.gnome.org/edwardrv/2009...hs-of-hacking/

Originally Posted by Edward Hervey
The “GStreamer Editing Services” is a library to simplify the creation of multimedia editing applications. Based on the GStreamer multimedia framework and the GNonLin set of plugins, its goals are to suit all types of editing-related applications.

The GStreamer Editing Services are cross-platform and work on most UNIX-like platform as well as Windows. It is released under the GNU Library General Public License (GNU LGPL).
And especially this..

Originally Posted by Edward Hervey
In addition to that, I will be at the Maemo Barcelona Long Weekend starting from Friday, where we will try to corner down the UI and code requirements for creating a video editor for Maemo. All of the above should make it much easier to do than anticipated

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
There was discussion in the concepting session in Barcelona about a videoeditor, so I'm pretty sure someone is working on it. So presumably it's a matter of time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Any development on this since this thread was first posted?

Are there any 3rd party apps which allow on-phone video editing?

I, too, am very eager to have a video editing tool for the N900. I've heard good things about the "Reel Director" app available on the I Phone, and developed by Nexvio. Any chance of getting that or something like that for the N900 soon? It would be greatly appreciated.

FYI: A response from "support@nexio.com" received 4 March to my question about whether Nexvio plans to make the "Reel Director" video editing app and other video apps available for the N900: "Thanks for your interest in our apps. Our current focus is on iPhone apps, but at the same time we can't rule out other platforms. We'll look into them once we finish polishing our existing products."

well... there is avidemux in easydebian

but its for the patient ones only

Im also gonna bump for a video editor!

Actually missing this feature going from the N95 to the N900

Tags
nic the dic