Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
Posts: 73 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Prague, Czech Republic
#1
Hello guys,

I wrote a simple command line tool for importing SMS messages in csv format to N900. Using that tool I was able to import ~500 received and ~100 sent SMS messages from my old E66.

Here are few step how I did that:

1. I exported all messages to csv files using "Nokia Communication Centre" from Nokia PC Suite
2. merged together exported received and sent messages to one file. eg. sms.csv
3. copied sms.csv to device to home directory together with smsimporter binary
4. and then entered these commands from terminal:
chmod +x smsimporter
run-standalone.sh ./smsimporter sms.csv
5. done, now you should have your old SMS messages imported.

Code of that tool is little bit ugly, because I didn't wanted to spend all work day writing it. So, if someone want to improve it, write simple GUI for it, you are welcome.

PLEASE MAKE BACKUP OF YOUR MESSAGES IN THE DEVICE USING BACKUP APPLICATION BEFORE IMPORTING/EXPORTING YOUR OLD SMS MESSAGES!!!

EDIT:
- Added updated version of smsimporter. This version should automatically detect delimiter.
- Added smsexporter tool.
Attached Files
File Type: gz smstools-src-0.2.tar.gz (3.1 KB, 2635 views)
File Type: gz smstools-bin-0.2.tar.gz (6.7 KB, 2684 views)

Last edited by rmoravcik; 2009-12-18 at 14:16.
 

The Following 55 Users Say Thank You to rmoravcik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Nov 2009
#2
thanks for the effort, i'm a noob, so I have a question, how did you do the 3rd step? do i have to download the attached files to somewhere ? I want to copy my sms messages from N82 to N900... plz help.
 
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Nov 2009
#3
hmm nobody interested to import their messages from a symbian phone to maemo??? =/
 

The Following User Says Thank You to zb88 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Dec 2009
#4
First, great job putting something like this together! I was definitely looking for a way to transfer my 1000+ SMS messages from my old E61 to my N900. After using the tool I have a couple of observations:
  • The instructions mention exporting the SMS messages as a CSV. Upon inspecting the code, I realized that the program is expecting a semicolon ( ; ) as the delimiter. Just as a heads up to people who might be trying this out with a true CSV file (delimited by commas), you'll get a Segmentation Fault. Use semicolon delimiters instead.
  • After I ran the program, I checked the Conversations app to make sure the messages had been imported. They had, of course. The only weird thing is that, despite having the correct dates from when I sent/received them, they showed up at the top of the Conversations list, despite being much older than messages I sent on the N900 recently. I rebooted the device, but that didn't change anything. This is only an issue for those like me who have already been using the N900 prior to running this import. Not a huge deal, but slightly annoying.

In any case, if you take the above into consideration, this is a great tool for those migrating from other devices and who want to retain their SMS communication history.
 

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to airjordan17 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 73 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Prague, Czech Republic
#5
Originally Posted by airjordan17 View Post
[*]The instructions mention exporting the SMS messages as a CSV. Upon inspecting the code, I realized that the program is expecting a semicolon ( ; ) as the delimiter. Just as a heads up to people who might be trying this out with a true CSV file (delimited by commas), you'll get a Segmentation Fault. Use semicolon delimiters instead.
I wrote it in ~5 hours and I'm sure it can crash in some unexpected situations. CSV files exported from Nokia PC suite is using semicolon as delimiter.

Originally Posted by airjordan17 View Post
[*]After I ran the program, I checked the Conversations app to make sure the messages had been imported. They had, of course. The only weird thing is that, despite having the correct dates from when I sent/received them, they showed up at the top of the Conversations list, despite being much older than messages I sent on the N900 recently. I rebooted the device, but that didn't change anything. This is only an issue for those like me who have already been using the N900 prior to running this import. Not a huge deal, but slightly annoying.
I was importing my old SMS messages to the empty device, so I have all my conversations in the correct order. The most recent messages are on the bottom. smsimporter is filling storage_time, start_time, end_time fields, but for some unknown reason storage_time was always set to current date. So, maybe this is the problem, but I'm not sure.
 
Posts: 73 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Prague, Czech Republic
#6
Originally Posted by zb88 View Post
hmm nobody interested to import their messages from a symbian phone to maemo??? =/
1. download smsimporter-bin.tar.gz from attachment and unpack it on your PC
2. connect your N900 using USB cable in "Mass storage mode"
3. copy extracted smsimporter and your sms messages directly to device
4. disconnect USB cable
5. open X terminal
6. enter these commands:
cd /home/user
cp MyDocs/smsimporter MyDocs/sms.csv .
chmod +x smsimporter
run-standalone.sh ./smsimporter sms.csv
Please make backup of your messages in N900 before importing your old SMS messages.
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rmoravcik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Dec 2009
#7
Originally Posted by rmoravcik View Post
I wrote it in ~5 hours and I'm sure it can crash in some unexpected situations. CSV files exported from Nokia PC suite is using semicolon as delimiter.
No problem. Again, I think it's great considering the amount of time invested so far. I think the default delimiter may depend on OS/configuration. I'm using PC Suite on Windows XP and the default delimiter is a comma. However, there is a way to change it to something else:

Control Panel > Regional and Language Settings > Regional Options (tab) > Customize... (button) > "List separator"

Change "List separator" to a semi-colon and it's good to go. May need to restart PC Suite if it was running when this change is made.
 
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Nov 2009
#8
Originally Posted by rmoravcik;430075}[B
Please make backup of your messages in N900 before importing your old SMS messages.[/B]
how do I make a backup of my messages on n900? cause on PC Suite there is no way to get to sms .. it'll be appreciated if you tell me how to get from n900... thanks
 
Posts: 73 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Prague, Czech Republic
#9
Originally Posted by zb88 View Post
how do I make a backup of my messages on n900? cause on PC Suite there is no way to get to sms .. it'll be appreciated if you tell me how to get from n900... thanks
Use "Backup" application installed on device.
 
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Nov 2009
#10
ok when i type chmod +x smsimporter in X, it gives no such directory or file exists... however this works "cp MyDocs/smsimporter MyDocs/sms.csv" before chmod command

what is the problem here?
 
Reply

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:14.