The last couple of nights, I have had around 20-30% battery life left before going to bed around 1am. By the time I wake up in the morning, my battery is on low battery or dead. I have gotten rid of every widget except countdown and calendar. I only have 2 screens and the other 2 are disabled. I also disabled auto update for e-mails. Since my phone died overnight, my 10am alarm did not go off. Luckily I was awake. I pressed the power button to check the time, but my phone battery was completely dead....

During the day, I have to go through about 2 full charges a day. I hardly use the phone, it is all internet. I had a Google G1 phone a year ago and it did the same thing. I'm guessing it is due to 3G, but I didn't think the battery would be this bad.

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Have you used WLAN at all?

It's know to cause battery drain even if you disconnect from the network and disable it afterwards.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
I have much the same problems. Never use wlan. It is 3G that uses that much power. As soon as you turn on widgets that use internet or check mail periodically my battery starts draining. Having to charge my phone twice a day is just ridicules, Android phones and iphone have an always on 3G connection and they at least last through the day.

Last edited by GiGi.; 2009-12-17 at 15:45.

I've noticed that since installing openssh that my battery life has decreased a bit. Though I don't know if it was active if I put the device in offline mode. I use to be able to leave the tablet unplugged online overnight and it was fine. But since after installing openssh I can't leave it even offline overnight without the battery depleting.

I'll have to test with issuing an ssh stop command before bedtime to see if openssh is my issue.

But basically, it can be an application issue too.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Texas
Try turning off GPS, network positioning, Auto wifi scanning (so I manually connect to everything), any unnecessary desktop widgets, and keep processes closed if their not being used. I did this and I can easily go 48 hours without a charge.

Last edited by flux41; 2009-12-17 at 15:49.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
I know it can be an application issue but i am not using the phone how i want to use it because the battery would be dead before i get home. I know a lot of bugs will be fixed but it is just plain stupid that you have to turn of all widgets, sign out of im networks, uninstall most applications and can't use 3G because of battery drains.

Last edited by GiGi.; 2009-12-17 at 15:44.

I believe in another thread you asked if you got a lemon?

I would probably say so. Since I was able to leave all of my widgets (except Facebook since that one is known to be problematic) on, leave it on online mode, and check email (I have it set to once an hour) and still have it last the night unplugged. Though it would be at 3/4th battery life remaining after the night.

It was only after installing openssh that I begun to have a shorter battery life duration. So I need to experiment with stopping the server overnight.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

@cyi1: Before going to bed, start an xterm and run 'top'. Look for anything using CPU. You should see only Xorg at the top, with some 1-2% CPU (and that is only because it's busy showing the activity of 'top').

I had 'pulseaudio' running with 18-20% CPU the other night, for no reason (I wasn't running anything that sounded the speakers). That killed the battery over night. A 'kill' on the pid(s) of the offending processes, if any, should prevent overnight battery drain from CPU usage at least.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by cyi1 View Post
Since my phone died overnight, my 10am alarm did not go off.
If alarms don't go off, that totally defeats their purpose.

My old LG Viewty would shut down the phone when the battery got down to some minimum voltage, but would keep enough capacity that it could sound one more alarm at the appropriate time. Once you're awake you can then recharge the phone.

Any other behaviour is deficient. No-one needs an alarm that may or may not go off.

Regards,
Roger

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Texas
Also, I forgot to mention that after a week it seemed like the battery life got better regardless. I do not know how to explain this, but it just did.

The Following User Says Thank You to flux41 For This Useful Post: