Active Topics

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
The N900 has been one contradicting device for me. On one hand, it is the greatest phone-sized portable media and web device I have owned, but on the other, it has the weakest reception of low 2G signal of any phone I have owned.

Given the great media and web function of the device, I decided to keep the N900 regardless, but decided to ask for a replacement for my current N900- hoping the weak reception in low signal areas was due to a defective radio on my N900. Dell shipped me a replacement N900 and I have been testing it, which is impressive, considering I asked for the replacement on Monday. Ironic too, considering some have not even received their N900’s yet.

The 2G has been driving me nuts, considering everything else about the device works great and I would expect a Nokia to have a better signal- especially since people here have stated the n900 does. Then again, I have been sent PM’s and seen posts where others are having the same problem with 2G and also “dancing bars” and slow reacquisition of a signal when lost.

After trying the second N900 out, it has the same exact reception issues mentioned above. I will ironically be sending the replacement back, since easier then setting everything back up again (media, emulators, etc). Two phones with the same weak reception for low signal areas confirms to me the radio on the N900 is weak. I respect others saying the N900’s radio is amazing and picks-up at least one bar in "underground bunkers", but I can not even keep a signal on roads I have never lost a signal on using T-Mobile.

I still love my N900 for media and web and perhaps one day for games & emulators, but as a phone in semi-rural areas, the N900 is a weak option, because I can not make a call. G1, N3610 and Dash have no problems in the same areas. Either a lot of people here have weak radio phones and the N900 is actually better, or for some reason, your networks are better, so different reception environment.

The poor picture is from my G1 in lower light, but shows my two N900's. Great "phone" for areas with medium to better coverage.

UPDATE: The new one is definitely going back, since randomly reboots itself. Does not seem to matter what I am doing, since it has rebooted even while pressing no keys or running any apps. It has reboot five times in the four hours I have used it. ZERO reboots on my first one.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rushmore; 2009-12-25 at 02:26.

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
The N900...has the weakest reception of low 2G signal of any phone I have owned.
I've had the opposite experience. I'm on the road most of the day and cover a very large area so I spend probably the majority of an average day out in the boonies. Rural reception must be good for me to keep a phone.

The N900 is at least as good and probably better in weak signal areas than any than any phone I've ever used in the last 12 years. Seriously. That includes of course the G1 it replaced, which was just fair. That applies to 3G data vs the G1 too. There must be some odd cause for your problems, but I have no clue how to help troubleshoot your issue.

Maybe I'm just lucky...I haven't had any of the other problems others have - no reboots, dead mic - nothing but a terrific experience. Well..ok, sure I've seen a couple of minor bugs. But overall I'm very happy.
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following User Says Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
yea, my N900 kicks the crap out of my G1...... side by side N900 has full 3G signal while G1 has 2 or 3 bars...

my friend has a g1 and he got a 1 bar 3g signal while I get
full bar 3.5G signal and we're next to each other.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
i have no problems with getting a good 3G signal seemd to be on par with my N97 which is quite good.

mod can you look at tag on this thread and look at gods giggerish making no sense

Chicago here.

I used Sony Ericsson
W810
W880
W902
W905

I actually have better signal with N900. Few bars I go to often tend to not have signal. The two days that I had N900, I had signal for one of the bar.

Oh 3G/3.5G the whole time I had N900 that I drove around the city with it.

Hopefully, my N900 replacement will not have bad reception. Hope no restart too... heh

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
I wish I had the same performance with one of my current N900's too. Ironic I am sending the new one back. Have to anyways, since it is randomly rebooting. Done it five times so far in less than five hours of use.

No apps installed on this one yet, but rebooting none the less. Zero reboots on my first one and proud of it.

Same signal issue in my area though as the first.

As far as 3G, no such Tmobile luxury around here. Just 2 & 2.5.

Last edited by Rushmore; 2009-12-25 at 02:27.

Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
I've had the opposite experience. I'm on the road most of the day and cover a very large area so I spend probably the majority of an average day out in the boonies. Rural reception must be good for me to keep a phone.

The N900 is at least as good and probably better in weak signal areas than any than any phone I've ever used in the last 12 years. Seriously. That includes of course the G1 it replaced, which was just fair. That applies to 3G data vs the G1 too. There must be some odd cause for your problems, but I have no clue how to help troubleshoot your issue.

Maybe I'm just lucky...I haven't had any of the other problems others have - no reboots, dead mic - nothing but a terrific experience. Well..ok, sure I've seen a couple of minor bugs. But overall I'm very happy.

Same here my reception is actually much better than my G1. i have been lucky with reboots etc as well. Partially I guess becaise I know what I am doing visa vi extras etc, but I also think I lucked out on the hardware as well.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver Island, Canada
I was using a Sony Ericsson Z710i and it would constantly miss calls in my studio. The N900 is MUCH better, fewer missed calls, fewer dropped calls. I'm very happy about the improvement in cellular performance within the limitations of my geographic location (mid-Vancouver Island) and carrier (Fido). Unfortunatly, I cannot get a 3G data connection on Fido, only 2.5G.

Cheers!

Brad

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Moon
i'm mostly in 2G area with my current provider and got to say n900 is performing really well compared to my other phones

Tags
god is stinky, n900 is stinky