This is a software proposal for a small program which gives the user the opportunity to change the colour (and maybe the blinking speed) of the LED during various alerts such as receiving a SMS, IM, missed call or e-mail.

One way to do this is implement it in the settings menu.

(For the N900)

Last edited by chemist; 2010-01-16 at 16:53.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Devil For This Useful Post:
yeah that would be cool!! does it take alot of work for a programmer to do it??

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by Devil View Post
This is a software proposal for a small program which gives the user the opportunity to change the colour (and maybe the blinking speed) of the LED during various alerts such as receiving a SMS, IM, missed call or e-mail.

One way to do this is implement it in the settings menu.

(For the N900)
Hi Devil - i know it has been discussed before and even described how to do it - but is this the starts of a brainstorm? - i'm intruiged and would like it lots!

If it's in the settings i suppose you will give the people options to change....?
Possibly:
Text Alert
Missed Call
Voice Message
Email
Charging
Charged
Almost out of battery

And then there is the possibilities of speed of blink / flashing blinks/ glowing blinks etc etc?

And then the possibility of colours?

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Please create a proposal (Problem+Solution) at http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/

And read the following please
How to use Brainstorm
Follow the Brainstorm rules

actually it was a proposal for someone else to make it.

i would like to make it if noone else does since i think this is a absolute must.
though i am not a programmer/developer and only had becoming one in my mind as an idea at the moment i would have a lot of time left. so for me it would take a lot of time to do it.

to noobmonkey yes this is the way for me to start a brainstorm, since again i just posted this thread to bring someone to the idea of making this since i think there would be a lot of people who would like to see this. the ideas you post are very good but i dont think there would be a lot of discussion as to what shouldj be in a software package like this.

seems pretty easy to me:
app providing the ability to adjust:
led blinking speed
led colour for different notifications

to chemist i have intentionally not read the stickys since again i just wanted to post the idea and thats about it if in that case it should be moved somewhere else on the forum so be it.

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by Devil View Post
actually it was a proposal for someone else to make it.

i would like to make it if noone else does since i think this is a absolute must.
though i am not a programmer/developer and only had becoming one in my mind as an idea at the moment i would have a lot of time left. so for me it would take a lot of time to do it.

to noobmonkey yes this is the way for me to start a brainstorm, since again i just posted this thread to bring someone to the idea of making this since i think there would be a lot of people who would like to see this. the ideas you post are very good but i dont think there would be a lot of discussion as to what shouldj be in a software package like this.

seems pretty easy to me:
app providing the ability to adjust:
led blinking speed
led colour for different notifications

to chemist i have intentionally not read the stickys since again i just wanted to post the idea and thats about it if in that case it should be moved somewhere else on the forum so be it.
Hi Devil, anyone can create a brainstorm/proposal, doesnt have to be the designer. In my previous example Kathy created it, and is helping with testing but has no coding knowledge

If you are interested enough then others maybe - but would be good to see the example written out - I think you do need to explain it, as without the brainstorm it will just die out as an idea
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Good.

I would only know how it looks like. So i will describe that, and i hope that image will be sufficient for someone to get a clear view on what i am thinking of.

The app/pluging/addon/software package would add to the settings>notifications menu options to change the colour of the blinking led.

For example, now this menu displays a list of happenings on which one can be alerted by a blinking of the LED. (the colour is unchangeble). One can only turn the notification on or off.
So the list right now has email, chat, sms, missed call, etc.
When the app would be installed, on would be able to press f.e. the email button. Instead of the email notification would be switched off/on by pressing this button, a new menu could pop up with the options:

notification on/off.
colour of LED (predetermined colours or a pallet to manually select the colour(predetermined would be best in my oppinion)
blinking speed (f.e. constant on, fast, medium, slow)

Same goes for the buttons chat/fully charged/charging/sms/device turned on/device charging/mms/missed call.

changing the sounds connected to these happenings is done in another menu, which is profiles. So that could/should be left alone for the sake of non-chaos. (new word)

How do other people feel about this?
comment on .. things as perhaps the steps of the blinking rate and whether there should be a colour pallet or predetermined colours.

(since there are not more than 10 notifications, and since the LED's colours all look a little the same, especially when the colours are close to other colours.(that sounds stupid), but because of that it might be handy to make predetermined colours in my oppinion.)

red
blue
green
yellow
orange
white
purple

another idea is making sure that when one has more than one notification alert, the phone is not blinking only f.e. blue for the most recent notification but would blink - blue, red, blue, red-

in case of a 3rd event, - blue, red, green, blue, red, green - etc

Last edited by Devil; 2010-01-03 at 19:30.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Devil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by noobmonkey View Post
Hi Devil - i know it has been discussed before and even described how to do it - but is this the starts of a brainstorm? - i'm intruiged and would like it lots!

If it's in the settings i suppose you will give the people options to change....?
Possibly:
Text Alert
Missed Call
Voice Message
Email
Charging
Charged
Almost out of battery

And then there is the possibilities of speed of blink / flashing blinks/ glowing blinks etc etc?

And then the possibility of colours?
exactly, i added a few.

sms
IM
Missed Call
Voice Message(voicemail)(if this can be done)
Email
Charging
Charged
Almost out of battery
mms
device turned on

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
again...
Please create a proposal at http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/
and add your ideas as solutions.

Originally Posted by chemist View Post
again...
Please create a proposal at http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/
and add your ideas as solutions.
jawohl mein chemist.

could someone else who likes this idea add this as proposal in the brainstorm section?

Maybe this'll show there is people besids me nashith and noobmonkey who have interest in this as well. Because i am starting to doubt if there is really other people out there who want this.