Notices

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Helsinki
Hi,

I installed Firefox Fennec RC1 and wrote down some initial thoughts about it versus microB here:

http://blog.twinapex.fi/2010/01/02/m...irefox-fennec/

If you are considering starting to use Fennec I recommend to read the blog.

-Mikko

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to moo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
Great comparison !

Could you in your comparison also include Midori as a alternative, Webkit based browser ? I'm sure lots of people (including me) would like a well written comparison including that one as well.

I know Midori is still in extras-dev (for Andre : usual disclaimers : it can brick your system, don't try it unless you know how to reflash) but a honest comparison would be nice, to judge it's current state.

Thanks again.

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Exceptionally well written comparison, my thoughts mirrored exactly.

I find it surprising for Mozilla - this should still be beta, not a release candidate. I love the UI and its implementation, now we just need the speed of microB implemented to make this a pure winner.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
I was going to do this compairson but when Firefox nearly locked up my device. I love the UI and compatibility with addons, but it needs some work. Good compairson OP.

Posts: 118 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Great work . It's also my point of view. Fennec needs to be at least as fast as microB. MicroBs free zooming is also missing .

Awesome news... I love the look and feel of Fennec, much better than MicroB... However, the speed it runs makes it almost unusable I understand it is just the first release and it's still a release candidate so I'll give the guys time, great work to by the ways, thanks.

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by moo View Post
iltalehti.fi
Finnish tabloid web site with lots of images.

microB: Ok
Fennec: Grinds to halt, unusable slow
My experience with with N810:

MicroB: Takes about 30sec. before I can start scrolling the page
Fennec: In 20sec. I can start scrolling
After that both work pretty much the same, although Fennec shows that white&grey checker background when scrolling long distances (rendering the actual page takes a while, sometimes it's fast, sometimes it's slow).

Same happens with other sites also. Looks like Fennec doesn't like N900 and Nokia did good job with new MicroB. Fennec is no means excellent browser (still some weird issues occasionally) but I really hope they can further improve the Fennec because I really like the interface and it works with some sites where N810's MicroB fails.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mixu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 14 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Netweaver View Post
Great comparison !
Could you in your comparison also include Midori as a alternative, Webkit based browser ? I'm sure lots of people (including me) would like a well written comparison including that one as well.
I think Midori is still so alpha that it shouldn't be even considered.

The user interface is direct desktop port and lacks zooming, proper touch scrolling, etc. stuff

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Mboro - UK
I preffered MicoB.

Seemed a lot smoother and quicker.

display was fine.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
bring back Opera from the pre-OS2008 days

ok, only kidding :-D