Hi,

Now this device is out on vodafone in the uk I am getting very tempted. I have a question!

1) Can you use the n900 as a tethered modem with a laptop (for internet usage) ?

cheers,

MB

sure. On a PC, just use PC Suite. For Linux/Mac you can also do it, and google will tell you all about how

The Following User Says Thank You to schettj For This Useful Post:
yes, using PC Suite on Windows. definitely works, I have tried it on Tmobile and it works.
Make sure the micro USB cable is using the one that came with the phone and not the one that is being used from Blackberry or ebay. (It does not work in my testing - But still can be used for charging)

For linux -> No idea yet

The Following User Says Thank You to tirtawn For This Useful Post:
Thanks for such a quick responce guys, that was one of my main boxs to tick for me,

MB

works with telstra in Australia ok!

Originally Posted by tirtawn View Post
yes, using PC Suite on Windows. definitely works, I have tried it on Tmobile and it works.
Make sure the micro USB cable is using the one that came with the phone and not the one that is being used from Blackberry or ebay. (It does not work in my testing - But still can be used for charging)

For linux -> No idea yet
I used my BlackBerry Micro USB cable to tether and it worked fine..

How about Bluetooth/Wifi tethering? I remember an iphone app from the jailbroken "restricted" apps that turned the phone into a wi-fi hotspot/router,so that your laptop could connect to it via a wireless network. Seems like something like this should be easy on as free a device as the N900, if it could be done on the iPhone. Also, what's the difference between PC Suite and Mass Storage Mode, really? Especially considering the PCSuite or OviSuite software doesn't connect to the N900 at all! It seems to mount the file system differently.

I have been using bluetooth tethering because it does make things easy. It needs an app that is in the repository (DUN) and on Windows systems drivers that come with the Nokia PC suite (so you need to install that but not actually use it after first connection). I hear Linux works well but haven't tested.

I understand Wifi tethering is also doable but currently requires bit more tweaking. I haven't tried it though. I am pretty sure this will be a single easy package too after a while.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia
Originally Posted by cre8web View Post
works with telstra in Australia ok!
Wouldn't it be rather slow on Telstra? Mainly because they use NextG and not 3G?

What speeds are you getting?
Sorry if this is derailing to topic