with so many tablets and phones coming this year, nokia is going to lose a major slice of its market share ... sure, they make more money selling a low end phone because they are so much cheaper to produce and not that cheap to sell ... but, the others make money selling the phone and selling services with the phone ... apple store and android store put to shame nokia's efforts to launch ovi

what a shame ovi store is ... it was relaunched several times ... but still fails to deliver

n95/n82 were so good ... for their times ... sure, one of the ugliest phones on the market, with an interface that was years behinds iphone's ... but those phones were not for fun, they were/are great instruments ... 3 years from n95/n82 ... and? n97? n900?

except keyboard, screen and speed ... nothing! (few things are worse!!) everyone could and did add these to their phone ... what is nokia's edge?

n900 ... if the new firmware will just fix some bugs ... the phone won't have a chance!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jean2323 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Do you own Nokia shares? Is that why you are concerned?

I just hope they don't change too much. Yes, the competition moves fast, but it moves away from my needs as a consumer with increasing speed.

Nokia doesn't quite provide what I want, either, but at least they're close and I don't see them drifting away.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
maybe try posting your concerns on nokia forums b/c most ppl here could not care less about nokia devices of yesterday we just want real open linux hackable devices

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Poland
I agree with "jean2323" in terms of upcoming firmware for N900, if it'll provide nothing but the bug fixes, I'll consider selling the device and wait for the successor.

I do love having a debian in my pocket with all the pros of it, but what i lack the most is the real deal navigation software.

Spoke to the SYGIC representative yesterday and the only reason they had not released their navi app last year is because Nokia asked them to join the Maemo select and OVI store as they become available for the N900.

So read between the lines people, we might see the FW approx on the 18th of January 2010

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stantheboss For This Useful Post:
Nokia have their roadmaps. Difficult to say how they plan to position maemo by outstanders. maemo != nokia. Currently it's "only" some devices.

But if they plan to position n900 and its f'uppers against android then I fully agree.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ bournemouth
Originally Posted by jean2323 View Post
with so many tablets and phones coming this year, nokia is going to lose a major slice of its market share ... sure, they make more money selling a low end phone because they are so much cheaper to produce and not that cheap to sell ... but, the others make money selling the phone and selling services with the phone ... apple store and android store put to shame nokia's efforts to launch ovi

what a shame ovi store is ... it was relaunched several times ... but still fails to deliver

n95/n82 were so good ... for their times ... sure, one of the ugliest phones on the market, with an interface that was years behinds iphone's ... but those phones were not for fun, they were/are great instruments ... 3 years from n95/n82 ... and? n97? n900?

except keyboard, screen and speed ... nothing! (few things are worse!!) everyone could and did add these to their phone ... what is nokia's edge?

n900 ... if the new firmware will just fix some bugs ... the phone won't have a chance!

Very true, I've had my N900 for just over a week now and really like it, but I also work selling phones, and believe me the N900 is a HARD sell, the typical convo goes as follows..

"So what can the N900 do??"

Well anything you want really, its based on Linux which makes the development of programs and functions easier with out the usual vetting process akin to the iPhone, as you've probably read around the net

"WOW sounds good, so what can I do... now"

Well right now, the basic stuff, phone calls, emails, texts, web browsing, but its the development of programs/apps thats coming that makes it really exciting

"Ok so whats the battery like"

Ok, but depends on how much you use it, the next firmware update is said to improve its power management so it'll only ge better

"Does it have maps"

Yes but its a bit slow with no voice guidance yet, again the next firmware update will make big improvements

"Video Calling???"

The camera is in place but not yet active, the next update should fix that

"Does the phone rotate like the iphone or those google phones?"

No not yet, again the next update will introduce full OS rotation so its easier to use the phone one handed

"Does it have an App Store"

Yes, there are various ways to installing applications to the N900, remember its more of a full computer, so as time goes on you'll be able to install some real quality applications

"Yeah but what do you get now??"

A few apps maintained by the linux community as the official Nokia Ovi store is not yet live, but there are general warnings installing these apps, so dont just go around installing loads of stuff randomly

'Why"

Its just the way Linux works as an operating system, the programs available are mostly still in development.

"Oh ok, so you want me to sign a 2 year contract on a device that out of the box obviously isn't really ready for release on the promise that these features are coming?? Yeah I don't think so, give me an iPhone"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has happened at least 3 times so far and once with the Nokia rep standing right beside me demoing his phone like there was no tomorrow.

I think this is going to be a big problem for Nokia, Yes the N900 is fantastic, and yes I prefer it to my 3GS but on a whole the general public are going to be put off the device until Nokia really sort out at least the basics, most people are fickle when it comes to mobile phones, the number of times I've sold utter crap phones (i.e LG Cookie/Chocolate) to people because it has a small feature increase (i.e. lke handwriting recognition or 0.1 difference is camera pixels, or mostly cause it £5 cheaper, over a decent phone (i.e. Nokia 5530 or Samsung Toco Lite) is horrendous and then they whine when the've got to bring their rubbish phones back for repair when they break or crash.

For Nokia to sell the N900 to the masses, which is what they will want, they need to move fast other wise it'll end up like the Sony Ericsson Satio, here in the UK all Satio's were recalled due to a massive software bug, since then sales are non-existant even though all the problems have been fixed, as soon as someone hears a device has a problem or is lacking a feature that'll stay with them, I even see to people who are surprised that the iPhone now supports MMS, they hear something once and thats it....

Well thats my rant, hopefully someone from Nokia might read this, but probably not Even so, Im really enjoying my N900

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to starman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
All these speculations of Nokia being behind the competition are coming really a bit too early. Let's wait couple of months and we'll see what is the real deal here...

These speculations have gone around since Nokia was blamed of being too slow on clamshell phones

Last edited by bbin; 2010-01-08 at 10:55.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bbin For This Useful Post:
One thing good to remember is that there's big transition going on with Nokia. Symbian Foundation(most of all Symbian^4) and Maemo 6/Harmattan got real possibilities. Are they late? Yes, but if they manage to wow who cares. Symbian 9.5 that was announced in 2007 is very close to Symbian^3. It example already got ScreenPlay that will be important part of Symbian^3 and supported ARM Cortex-A8. Symbian Foundation is mostly the reason why we are still playing with 5th edition rather than 9.5, but thankfully Nokia does "opening" to Symbian now rather than later.

Nokias biggest threat, Samsung haven't still managed to do any impact in smartphones and i haven't heard anybody say that they are late

I I do own Nokia shares btw

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
I will be buying Nokia shares. If you lean on mostly US based bloggeratti, you would consider them dead. If Apple and Google cant kill them off now they are weak then they wont have a chance once symbian evolution is done and maemo 6 hits town. Just look at N900 - nothing like it out there IMHO.

Symbian 4 will shake up the market by "pushing smartphone price down globally " - nokia.

Seems even option traders agree with me. Going long on NOK.

See this article

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...-products.html

Last edited by Enyibinakata; 2010-01-08 at 11:38. Reason: typos

The Following User Says Thank You to Enyibinakata For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Maybe you aren't doing a good job of selling it. Of the top of my head...

Originally Posted by starman View Post
"WOW sounds good, so what can I do... now"
* Seamlessly integrate your phone and email and PIM contacts across a wide range of services.
* Keep track of your conversations with people on a per-person basis, instead of one little screen with only SMS messages.
* Browse the web, including flash-sites like youtube, as if you were on your PC
* Take High Definition Video movies (no more schlepping a movie camera around)
* Take High Resolution Pictures (no more schlepping a camera around)
* Find out where you are (no more schlepping a gps device around, save a lot of money on car upgrade)
* Use your existing email service on Yahoo, Gmail.
* Manage your online presence on things like facebook.
* View microshaft office documents that sheeple send you
* View and Edit your local streetmaps (maep, osm2go)
* Download those big files from torrents (transmission)
* Play the computer games you enjoyed from your childhood (emulators)

"Ok so whats the battery like"
'About 20 hours of continuous music playback! Like all high-performance phones, the battery life depends entirely on how heavily you use cpu, screen and radio.'

"Does it have maps"
'Yes! Beautiful maps on a high resolution display so you can actually SEE your surrounding area!'

"Video Calling???"
'No, but you can stream whatever you are looking at live over the web.'

"Does the phone rotate like the iphone or those google phones?"
'YES!' (show customer portrait mode)

"Does it have an App Store"
'Unlike other phones, this one uses LINUX, which means most applications are FREE and OPEN SOURCE, meaning you can work directly with the developers to get the features you want!!!!111one'

Nice use of wrong answers to not sell a phone...

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to ArnimS For This Useful Post: