Active Topics

Notices

Closed Thread
Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
fMMS is a python application with a graphical frontend for sending and receiving MMS on the N900.

When reporting a problem PLEASE be specific and PLEASE attach /tmp/fmms.log. Thank you.

BEFORE INSTALLING PLEASE READ http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=343619&postcount=1

v 0.6.1 video walkthrough: http://mynokiablog.com/2010/04/16/n9...p-receive-mms/

Old version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PweDR6I0Bt0, thanks MaemoSverige!

If you decide to test this application, please drop a comment here, on irc (nick: frals) or in a PM/e-mail

Problems configuring? Turn to the wiki: http://wiki.maemo.org/MMS

Garage site: https://garage.maemo.org/projects/fmms

Code available at: http://gitorious.org/fmms

GUI FOR ADDING ANOTHER APN: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=39951

---------------------------
As of release 0.6 there is now multiple "connection modes" available:

* Polite (Default behavior <0.6): Only switch to MMS connection if no connection is active, otherwise do nothing (pretty much)
* Rude: Force a disconnect of the active connection regardless of what it is, connect to MMS APN and then reconnect to the old one.
* Havoc: Try to bring up a connection to the MMS APN in parallell with whatever is active, this is what most other phones do. Note that to get this functionality on the N900 there are a few ugly hacks active which might break stuff, but it *should* work
---------------------------

Changing user-agent fMMS sends (Softbank JP users need to do this from what I've heard):
gconftool-2 -s /apps/fmms/useragent --type string "New UA String"

If you are having problems with the MMS APN being chosen by "Connect Automatically" the following steps before installing fMMS 0.9.12 *SHOULD* do the trick:
NOTE: This only applies to people coming from a version prior to 0.9.12!
These commands clears all configuration settings for fMMS, so make sure you save the settings somewhere (http://wiki.maemo.org/MMS is a good place for connection settings ;-)) before running any command.

Open terminal:
gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/fmms
gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /system/osso/connectivity/IAP/z_fMMS-APN

Make sure to copy and paste these as a space in the wrong place is VERY LIKELY to bork system stuff.

NOTE: As of 0.9.12 the settings for fMMS might no longer be saved in /system/osso/connectivity/IAP/z_fMMS-APN so deleting this might remove your GPRS Internet connection settings. However, a device reboot seems to restore the APN.

SHORT FAQ
  • Problem: "Name or service unknown"/"No route to host"/"Connection refused" or similar when sending
    Solution: Make sure you are connected to the MMS APN - if you still get the error, try pinging the mmsc host from the terminal. If it still fails, double check your connection settings. If your provider list a "MMS Proxy" or "MMS Gateway", input this in the HTTP Proxy settings for the connection

DON'T FORGET TO SET THE PROXY IN INTERNET CONNECTIONS

Thanks for testing!

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

Last edited by frals; 2010-04-29 at 14:27.

The Following 205 Users Say Thank You to frals For This Useful Post:
aboaboit, adedasfreak, adhrie, Ads, alainwolf, andree, antoarts, attila77, b0unc3, b666m, bbin, Berserk, biggzy, blackopz, bozskydave, Bratag, bsving, Bundyo, calltrace, calvin_42, cddiede, ceevee, chill, cjp, claesbas, codeMonkey, Corwin, crail, Crugath, crus42, cuneyt34b, cyapalmos, Dak, dandiesel, davost, dazzakoh, demolition, Digicom, donaggio, Dotblank, Dr.MZ, Duffer, dwaradzyn, dynomot, egoshin, eightace, EIPI, eitama, Erebo, ericdviking, evad, extremia, fatalsaint, festivalnut, fgs, Forphucsake, geno123, gesperon, GI jack, gjas18, guaka, HammY, Haus3r, HeinzHarald, Helmuth, Hexagoon, Hiienhurtta, hofman, houz, HRZ, humble, ifti, igloo2step, iKneaDough, ioan, IsaacDFP, jaeezzy, jarim, jdr93, jgvaldecasas, John McClane, jolo, josh, jsbigs, juahan, jukey, jurop88, jussihoo, kdrozd, Kee, Kevven, kik, Kilian, klinglerware, kolos, kopte3, kratos, Kurele, Kyaner, Lacedaemon, lcuk, LES.., lgarratt, Livinmalife, llaadd, LordJuanlo, lostinmirkwood, m1cke, mackan1, madserv, Maj3stic, majesty, MaLKaV, Marlon, Marshall Banana, martinlittle, Mattside, mc41, mece, Megaltariak, mele, mickenordin, MiK546, mikec, Miss Foxy8686, MortenS, mr_bridger, msbionik, muppis, Natan_xy, nbennie, ndi, noorallah, ohwut, oldnetdog, olympus, ossipena, OVK, PatrickN900, peppe78, phapsubongtoi, pillar, Prospector, Psymastr, qgil, qole, qwerty12, radiosw, Rauha, raverpol, rawutt, Razumichin, RevdKathy, RipTorn, rmoravcik, Robb, SallyJane, Sash, Sasler, sbock, Schturman, scuddy, shubell, sjgadsby, skalogre, slcp, slender, smegheadz, somedude, sss, stayloa, stlpaul, superpj101, Talvis, tangs, techdork, texaslabrat, Texrat, Thesandlord, thesnake505, tomaszf, tonyuk99, traysh, tso, tuminoid, twaelti, twigleaf1976, v13, VDVsx, vode, Wanker, weirdbeard, woody14619, xgrind, yerga, YoDude, youngcalihottie, zaheerm, ziller, zuti
Excellent - while I don't personally use MMS - I see it as something that a lot of people were complaining about. Great t see the community can add something like this without Nokias involvement.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
good stuff. Now I can stop my iphone using girlfriend (although she did admit she was fairly jealous and impressed by the n900) from saying "but it cant even send pictures!" in jest. we often exchange pictures (of many things)

First off lets give a big thank you to the creator here, this is a feature i use (not alot tho) but still use it, so a big WELL DONE .
However i wont install it till its been tested (not saying theres any problems with the app) its coz im a noob with maemo, once it gets enuf votes it will be on my n900, so once again thanx for the MMS capability

The Following User Says Thank You to biggzy For This Useful Post:
Really nice!

Thanks! great effort.

Am having a little trouble. no matter what I put as an APN. it says its wrong. but i got it from my other cellphones config. so i'm sure its right.

what does it do to check the APN?

It checks against the list of installed APNs in the phone (listed under Internet Connections in the Settings menu) - that is, you have to have one configured that it's suppose to use, it does not currently create a new one for you.

Ie. what you should do is put in the name of an existing APN in your phone

I'm working on a GUI to add a new GPRS APN so it can be configured in Internet Connections settings as you can't add a new GPRS access point through the UI at this time

After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to frals For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by frals View Post
It checks against the list of installed APNs in the phone (listed under Internet Connections in the Settings menu) - that is, you have to have one configured that it's suppose to use, it does not currently create a new one for you.

Ie. what you should do is put in the name of an existing APN in your phone

ah... now it makes sense.

i had the same problem and no clue what to do. so once the new AP is in the settings, i also need to go there and insert the required proxy settings, right? the config dialog in your app will only point to the existing settings. fine.

adding an AP is done through a bunch of mysterious gconf commands, right?

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
ah... now it makes sense.

i had the same problem and no clue what to do. so once the new AP is in the settings, i also need to go there and insert the required proxy settings, right? the config dialog in your app will only point to the existing settings. fine.

adding an AP is done through a bunch of mysterious gconf commands, right?
Yeah - I should make that more clear - added to todo list for the next version. It takes the name of an existing APN and gets the proxy settings from it

Yes, if you are confident in using the terminal and entering a bunch of mysterious potentially dangerous commands they are listed at https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5791#c16

fMMS - MMS for your N900

The Following User Says Thank You to frals For This Useful Post:
Posts: 245 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ CT USA
i get an error sending failed
error: -2 name or service not known
please make sure apn setting are correct

my settings are as follows
apn: tmobile internet (just like in connections)
mmsc http://216.155.174.84/servlets/mms
resize image width 300
and my number

The Following User Says Thank You to amorek13 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
application, community win, fmms, frals rocks, fralsvsnokia1-0, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, mms, n900, python