Active Topics

Any thoughts on this guy, the LG GW990?

Moorestown CPU, 4.8-inch display, HD Video, 3D gaming, aGPS, WiFi, 1850mAh battery, digital compass, HSPA radio, and 5 megapixel camera.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/07/l...gets-official/

Personally I liked it. 4.8 inch 1024x480 screen.
I am not sure about the OS though.
Dell Streak 5" is also a very good phone and tablet.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
This is a very attractive device. I'm interested in learning more about it! It's a bit too large for my needs, but if I was interested in a tablet, this paired with a bluetooth keyboard would be an amazing combo.

}:^)~

Doesn't it have the same GPU as the N900, since Intel's integrated graphics are made by Imagination Technology? In that case, 3D gaming might look a bit pixelated on such a large screen, and there might also be problems with that resolution.

Another turn-off is the LG S-class UI. Aside from that, it's a welcomed competitor. The more, the better (for us)!

The most imporant things about this table/phone is that it runs Moblin on an intel x86 processor. This seems like a great combination to me.
  • Moblin is as open as maemo but running on x86, meaning all the software we use on ubuntu or fedora, or whatever major distro one uses, will run natively. (or atleast have an easier porting process)
  • You can already run wine on moblin, which should mean lots of win apps/games (google:wine moblin)
  • You'll be able to run android apps much sooner (google: Android apps ubuntu)
  • It seems they're already moving towards QT:

Of course maemo could be compiled to run on the new intel cores (which might happen *rumor!*)
Also, hows the power usage on these new intel cores? Intel has been thinking about power usage only recently. But 32mm technology will have great power saving (coming 2011 for intel MIDs).

Moblin might actually become huge with the help of Intel
I read somewhere Windows 7 couldn't run on these devices due to no BIOS or something like that, which could mean lots of Moblin devices...

I don't know about you guys but I'd definitely sell my N800 for this device, even with the funky screen-size. I'd just like to know more about the power usage.

Last edited by tentpole; 2010-01-09 at 18:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to tentpole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 42 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Nottingham
This device has got my interest. It seems Nokia tablets and maemo are becoming less and less relevant as consumers opt for iPhone or Android. The Moblin distro is certainly a better choice (for me) than Android, and at-least code might be portable between maemo and moblin (QT based Python, for example).

>> sell my N800
There's a second-hand value on these?

Hi, it seems that the LG GW990's OS will be MeeGo according to GSMArena, http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_gw990-3164.php

is that not better for MeeGo? but is it good the n900 users?

regards

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kassel, Hesse, Germany
They just changed the name from Moblin to MeeGo on that page.

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Nice looking device it looks longer than the n810 but thinner. I also noticed that its multitouch and capacitive, it will be interesting to see if all meego handhelds are going to be multitouch, that would be the most unfortunate development for us N900 owners. Interesting times ahead for this platform.

Posts: 125 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland

Tags
gw990, lg gw990, meego