I have had my new N900 for less than a week and I love it! (despite a few problems here and there) However, I ran into a problem which I really need to fix.

I paired my N900 to a Jabra BT3030 headset (which I have been using with my old E70 for ever). It looked like everything worked, then the Phone dropped the bluetooth connection and now it will not remember the Bluetooth settings?? When I reboot the N900, the bluetooth is not active and when I try to activate it, it keeps asking for the name (and whether is should be on and visible) but even after entering the name and checking both boxes (to turn it on and visible) and pressing Save, it never actually turns on bluetooth???

I know bluetooth was at one time working fine as I used the bluetooth transfer function to my info from my old E70 to this new N900.

When I go to the "About Product" option in settings, the Bluetooth MAC Address is no longer showing either. My guess is that the device no longer sees the hardware even though the software "thinks" it is there.

There was a suggestion in the Nokia Forums to reflash the Maemo OS. I think I did one better by reflashing the BIOS, which then asked me to install the upgrade for Maemo (Maemo 5 1.2009.44-1.203.4 UK Version)

I took a look at Bug 3293 and that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Is there another way to reinstall the OS? Any other ideas?

Thanks
Bob

Posts: 529 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
I had exactly the same symptoms but for a different set of steps.
my problem turned out to be in
/var/lib/bluetooth/[your-bt-mac-address]/linkkeys
this file basically tracks the devices you've connected to.
I had managed to edit this file and put a blank line at the top, and deleting this line and rebooting fixed everything.

However it might be that any one of a number of odd problems can cause the bluetooth stack to fail to come up properly.
Still, worth checking.
Check out Witter, a twitter client for N900
http://danielwould.wordpress.com/witter

If Witter isn't working for you, eg crashes/doesn't start, gives errors etc etc. Please run it from x-term using:
run-standalone.sh python2.5 /opt/witter/witter.py

This will generate diagnostic output. Without this I cannot help you.

The Following User Says Thank You to dwould For This Useful Post:
intresting...it is only the bt3030 that seems to work 100% with this phone.

Thanks, that put me right on track. I eventually needed to wipeout the entire directory (after making sure I had a backup) and let the N900 start from scratch again, but after that it works (for now anyway)

Bob

Originally Posted by dwould View Post
I had managed to edit this file and put a blank line at the top, and deleting this line and rebooting fixed everything.

However it might be that any one of a number of odd problems can cause the bluetooth stack to fail to come up properly.
Still, worth checking.

Originally Posted by dwould View Post

Still, worth checking.
how to find that file?

I used SSH to connect to the device. SSH rocks!! It should be included by default! However until it is, you will need to install it manually. OpenSSH Client and Server should be available for download from maemo.org.

Bob

Originally Posted by robertwbrandt View Post
I used SSH to connect to the device. SSH rocks!! It should be included by default! However until it is, you will need to install it manually. OpenSSH Client and Server should be available for download from maemo.org.

Bob
im having real problems locating that software .............is the software named ............Open SSH ? and wher eon maemo site would i find it...could u be a lil more specific

On my device, it is called "OpenSSH Client and Server"

It looks like it installs two other packages called "OpenSSH Client" and "OpenSSH Server"

Not sure where I found it, but I'm sure it is not that hidden.

[QUOTE=robertwbrandt;570990]On my device, it is called "OpenSSH Client and Server"

It looks like it installs two other packages called "OpenSSH Client" and "OpenSSH Server"

Not sure where I found it, but I'm sure it is not that hidden.

ok lemme start over and explain everything,

i plugged the nokia n900 into my laptop via USB and i selected mass storage mode and the folders that are showing up is non of what u mentioned before.....i even tried viewing hiddin files and folders in windows explorer but that was no help either......so if u do have the time could u kinda break it down step by step

Originally Posted by meticulous1 View Post
i plugged the nokia n900 into my laptop via USB and i selected mass storage mode and the folders that are showing up is non of what u mentioned before.....i even tried viewing hiddin files and folders in windows explorer but that was no help either......so if u do have the time could u kinda break it down step by step
Okay, the device is a fully blown linux system with a normal file structure.

When you SSH into the device you can access this file system, however when you use the USB Mass Storage mode, it only shows you what is beneath the path /home/user/MyDocs This is so you don't accidentally delete important files.

You have to install the OpenSSH Server on your device.
Connect the device to a network
Find the IP Address
SSH unto the N900 from an OpenSSH client on another machine
Modify the file mentioned above.

When I get time tomorrow I will try to elaborate further. It is Paddy's Day in Ireland.