Active Topics

Posts: 68 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
Prior to the latest firmware update it was possible to adjust the volume of a playing music track with the screen locked by pressing the power key once, then using the volume keys.

The volume indicator would show on top of the "slide to unlock" screen.

Now, in order to adjust playback volume you need to fully unlock the screen- too may steps.

The Following User Says Thank You to jr1415us For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Yeah noticed that myself. I wonder if the previous behaviour was a bug actually.
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Thats one reason why I have not updated yet. It means you have to unlock screen to control vol the very reason I hated my first iPod touch. Surely a bug.

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Radom, Poland
I noticed it too. Actualy it was a very useful bug. They should add a possibilty to use the media controls of the headphones instead.

The Following User Says Thank You to Majestic12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Replace both instances of the string "tklock_mode_ind" with "tklock_m0de_ind" in /usr/lib/hildon-desktop/volume_status_menu_item.so. This will restore the old behaviour, with the exception that you can't actually see the volume slider on the screen anymore (when it is showing the "slide to unlock" screen, that is). The buttons will have no effect when the screen is off.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2010-01-15 at 20:12.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Replace both instances of the string "tklock_mode_ind" with "tklock_m0de_ind" in /usr/lib/hildon-desktop/volume_status_menu_item.so. This will restore the old behaviour, with the exception that you can't actually see the volume slider on the screen anymore (when it is showing the "slide to unlock" screen, that is). The buttons will have no effect when the screen is off.
Isn't there a config file for this ? Can someone pls post a compiled library with the change ?
thanks.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by Enyibinakata View Post
Can someone pls post a compiled library with the change ?
thanks.
No. That file is © Nokia.
Seriously, using a hex-editor to replace a string is not the hardest thing to do. Hell, I used vi, on the tablet itself.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
No. That file is © Nokia.
Seriously, using a hex-editor to replace a string is not the hardest thing to do. Hell, I used vi, on the tablet itself.
I managed to do it via SSH into the phone and a text-editor on my Mac.

Thanks for the tip!

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Hmmm no thanks... not really an acceptable solution.
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils

I don't even want to have to press the power button to adjust volume. The chances of the volume buttons being accidently pressed in my pocket are remote. If for example I am listening to mucis on the tube I just want to adjust the volume by pressing the volume keys without pressing power button and most definitely without having to bring out the phone from my pocket and unlock it.

The Following User Says Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post: