Active Topics

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Direct to the Brainstorm...

Often it's to easy to cancel a alert or answer a call when the Device is locked and you have to put it out of your pocket and out of your case.

There should be a better action instead only touching a button on the screen.

You hear a alert, put your maemo device out of the pocket and when you have it in your hand the display is dark again. When you unlock the device, there is no hint what's going on? You only know from the sound, was it a Alarm, a reminder or a Call you've canceled accidentally. But, a reminder? Have you Snooze it or disable it? Have you a appointment in 15 minutes or tomorrow? You have to go to the calendar and search what was going on.

This Brainstorm points to Calls, Reminders, Alerts, Alarms and every other event that needs a user action while the Device is locked. The target is to get a consistent solution for all kind of this events.

Here is the Brainstorm: LINK

Bug belongs to this: 5982, 7602, 7218

Some related Discussions at Talk:

Last edited by Helmuth; 2010-02-05 at 10:58.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Thumbs up for your Brainstorm, everytime I set an alarm I know that it is going to be useless if I'll not hear the sound.

The Following User Says Thank You to torpedo48 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
I think solution #3 should be default of those offered, but I suspect that this will be a highly individual thing. There will definitely need to be options, and with help text that explains tradeoffs.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alan_Peery For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Alan_Peery View Post
I think solution #3 should be default of those offered, but I suspect that this will be a highly individual thing. There will definitely need to be options, and with help text that explains tradeoffs.
Thank you Alan_Peery
I'd also prefer a option. Users should select their individual way of usage. But, sadly, i'm afraid Nokia wouldn't give us a option. See the virtual Keyboard problem with the wipe gestues. Instead of a option to enable or disable it Nokia decided to deactivate it for everybody.

At the moment I hope this brainstorm has a bit of a effect and we could get a goot solution. So, please vote for this Brainstorm!

This election is our only way of selection.

I hope the best Solution would win. If you got a Idea for a better Solution, please post it here or add it yourself to Brainstorm.

I guess, any other solution would be better than the actual annoying situation!
It's now up to the Maemo users. I hope I could live myself with the most voted solution.

Last edited by Helmuth; 2010-01-18 at 16:31.

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
Like when screen is locked, the device logs everything that happens, and when you unlock it again you can view this log? That's awesome.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cernunnos For This Useful Post:
I hope we could get in the end a solution that everybody would love. I'm still myself not sure which solution could be the best.
But this doesn't matter. I guess every solution would be better than the current annoying situation.

I've added some Bugs that belongs to this at the original post. Thanks ZeeD for the hint.

Edit:
I would add some small mockups to the actual ideas and possible solutions as soon as possible.

Last edited by Helmuth; 2010-01-19 at 22:25.

Status changed.
Could a Moderator please change the Headline to:

[Under consideration] UI action when Keyboard and Touchscreen is LOCKED and a event like Alarm, Reminder or Call happens

Thanks a lot!
The possibility to change the Headline for the creator of a thread (Brainstorm) would be nice.

Last edited by Helmuth; 2010-01-21 at 17:26.

Update:

I got a EMail from ZeeD with a new picture for Solution Number 5:

Here is the EMail:
This is ZeeD from maemo.org
Could you please add another picture from attach to your brainstorm
soilution #5
I tried to do that but with no luck
I've added the Picture additonally to the others.
The Buttons are only swapped. I guess to ensure to answere a call more ofter than cancel when you press it by accident.

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Alaska
i think that when an event happens the screen should light up showing the event but be only about half bright and be kind of blurry but the device will remain locked until either the slider lock is activated or a single press of the power button is performed at which time the screen should return to full brightness and focus and interactivity will be restored. if an event goes unnoticed a notification will displayed the same way as present. i think that should just about solve the problem, and, be fairly easy to implement as well.

Last edited by tokag; 2010-01-26 at 03:17. Reason: sp. correction

I'm answering here a post by onutz in a other Thread: LINK

Originally Posted by onutz View Post
I understood "Solution #1: swipe for a action" is a WONTIX from Nokia, why is it still present as a solution?
The bug itself is for Nokia still a WONTFIX.
But this is only Brainstorming to get a better working solution. (the proximity sensor isn't really working for this, only during active calls it is usefull)
I'm still hoping Nokia will esteem the outcome of the Brainstorme and what the users think about this.

Originally Posted by onutz View Post
Another workaround would be the call / calendar / alarm to trigger secondary event that would superpose a simple slider or a two points consecutive press.
What do you say?
Mmh... I'm not sure I get the point. But a two point consecutive press could also be a good workaround for calendar and alarm. Could you give me more details what are you meaning with secondary event?