Active Topics

Get full access over your N900 file system in 3 easy steps!
Watch out what you replace or delete or you might end up with a bricked device!
! Always make a backup first ! ! Never edit files in "sudoers.d"!

A. Wi-Fi
Wireless router required!

1. Enable the maemo.org repository by simply clicking this link (you should have it by default if your device is updated)
(if you don't find the files requested below, the extras-testing repository too, manually by entering the details linked here into the app manager.

2. Install the following apps: Open SSH Client and Open SSH server on your N900.
  • be sure to enter a strong password that you'll remember for Open SSH!
    In case you forgot to enter a password or want to change it, install, ROOTSH, open terminal and type
    "sudo gainroot" [enter] "passwd" [enter] and you'll be prompted to change/enter the new password
  • you should also install the showIP widget for your desktop
3. Download WinSCP, a very nice free SSH client for windows and configure it as follows:

• Host name: your N900 ip, get it from over here or install the showIP widget from app manger.
    -please remember that it may change on router/modem resets or because of your ISP
  • Port number: 22
  • User name: root
  • Password: a strong one - same as the one entered in Open SSH
  • Protocol: SFTP + SCP fallback

B. USB
Default cable is the only requirement!

1. Install Mad Developer (step A.1. may apply), run it and:
  • press "Manage USB" -> "Load g_either" -> "close".
  • enter the following IP: 192.168.1.30 -> "configure" (this address for WinSCP as well and settings from step A.3. apply).

2. Connect your N900 via USB and:

3. When you want the old USB mode back, re-enable mass storage mode via: "Manage USB" -> "Load g_nokia" -> "close".

I have also updated the Wiki, check it if you don't understand something or simply ask.

If this post helped you, please check out the ideas in my signature and cast a vote if you think they're worth it

Last edited by Bec; 2010-08-05 at 12:02. Reason: Added USB walkthrough

The Following 52 Users Say Thank You to Bec For This Useful Post:
Posts: 207 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ bournemouth
Originally Posted by Bec View Post
Get full access over your N900 file system in 3 easy steps!

Watch out what you replace or delete or you might end up with a bricked device!
Always make a backup first!
Never edit files in "sudoers.d"!

1. Enable the maemo.org repository by simply clicking this link (you should have it by default if your device is updated)
(if you don't find the files requested below, the extras-testing repository too, manually by entering the details linked here into the app manager.

2. Install the following apps: Open SSH Client and Open SSH server on your N900.
-be sure to enter a "strong" password that you'll remember for Open SSH!
-you should also install the showIP widget for your desktop

3. Download WinSCP, a very nice free SSH client for windows and configure it as follows:

Host name: your N900 ip, get it from over here or install the showIP widget from app manger.
-please remember that it may change on router/modem resets or because of your ISP
Port number: 22
User name: root
Password: a strong one - same as the one entered in Open SSH
Protocol: SFTP + SCP fallback

If this post helped you, please check out the ideas in my signature and cast a vote if you think they're worth it
Is there an App/Program that will enable and disable the SSH protocol when needed, my thinking is that having a server running all the time will be a battery drain, plus within the app the IP address could be shown..

You'll probably tell me the xterminal codes but I'd prefer a whole app - it'll just be easier to manage

Plus is there a way to use the apf protocol used by mac computers?? That way the N900 will be auto discovered by OSX and show as a mounted drive, I had a similar program on my jailbroken 3GS which was awesome...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to starman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by starman View Post
Is there an App/Program that will enable and disable the SSH protocol when needed, my thinking is that having a server running all the time will be a battery drain,
that's not the case.
the daemon is not "running" when there are no connections, it's idling - it doesn't consume any cpu cycles.

Originally Posted by starman View Post
plus within the app the IP address could be shown..
What app are you talking about? I was talking about a desktop widget that shows your ip and is very practical to have if you connect to multiple networks all the time (I do) - get if from the repositories..
If you don't need it, just type show ip in google and pick a result.

"APF" is a make-belief protocol only used on mac but there should be other softwares supporting the more common protocols available for mac as well.

Check here for mounting the folders of your N900: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=10

WinSCP (and other SCPs too) is not an explicitly used for mounting a folder as it is a rather complex wireless file manager.

Please be so kind and don't quote my whole post, it's a little big don't you think?

The Following User Says Thank You to Bec For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the guide.

Couple of questions though:

1) The repos have a client (installed), server (installed) and an extra "client and server" which is now 2kb. Do I need this too?

2) How do I set a password on the N900 for openssh? I'm not prompted to on install...

Thanks!

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ bournemouth
Originally Posted by Bec View Post
What app are you talking about? I was talking about a desktop widget that shows your ip and is very practical to have if you connect to multiple networks all the time (I do) - get if from the repositories..
If you don't need it, just type show ip in google and pick a result.

"APF" is a make-belief protocol only used on mac but there should be other softwares supporting the more common protocols available for mac as well.

Check here for mounting the folders of your N900: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=10

WinSCP (and other SCPs too) is not an explicitly used for mounting a folder as it is a rather complex wireless file manager.

Please be so kind and don't quote my whole post, it's a little big don't you think?
Cheers.................

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
correct me if i'm wrong but i think you need to install rootsh first.

Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
correct me if i'm wrong but i think you need to install rootsh first.
I know I had it when I did this but I don't think you really need it.

OpenSSH installs and asks for pw automatically and that's it.

SCP doesn't need root permission.

Originally Posted by stayloa View Post
Thanks for the guide.

Couple of questions though:

1) The repos have a client (installed), server (installed) and an extra "client and server" which is now 2kb. Do I need this too?

2) How do I set a password on the N900 for openssh? I'm not prompted to on install...

Thanks!
Quick answers:

1) Yes you do

2) Have a look here this might help:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37004

The Following User Says Thank You to torpedo48 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by torpedo48 View Post
1) Yes you do
No, he doesn't.
the package with both is just a metapackage to install the two other packages at once.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post: