Active Topics

Everywhere I hear people saying that the N900 is so fast. And in some places, yes it is. But the more I use this device I notice that the only fast thing is the surfing the web(once updating to 1.1). The music player is terrible slow, my sisters 5220 is some 100% faster then the n900. Sometimes it won't find all the song as today it only found the artists starting with A. When I restarted the musicplayer it didnt find any songs at all so after a few times I decided to listen to internet radio and was almost throwing away the device in anger.

But okey that is just a application some might say... But often it does not respond to my finger when I do ctrl + backspace and try to switch to another app. When I start to type at desktop to get a contact it takes like 5sec before something happends. When opening up preference and try to scroll down I come back to desktop(when Im to fast and I have seen the gui is up and running). When using xournal the text i write often comes 1sec after I have written it. And when I open up a contact and start to write my text I write takes really a lot of time to show up and the text in history too.

Now I have tried the first firmware, a flash on the first firmware and the new update(3day after the flash). So I guess this is not anything I can do anything about. But why does it have to be like this? Why can't nokia provide us a lag-free os, it does have the power for this for sure and to make a lag-free sms function with a 600mhz processor can't be that hard can it?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lullen For This Useful Post:
Here here. This is beta software imo. It has massive potential but its just not ready.
(PS I still love my N900..)

The Following User Says Thank You to chrisp7 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ NE UK
Sounds like something is eating your CPU or RAM up. Just as an example, for me, typing at the desktop screen instantly brings up matching contacts, whereas you report 5 seconds. Definitely less than a quarter of a second for me.

I would try and see what your CPU usage is as you are doing these things. If you have the cpumem applet installed, take a look at what it's doing, otherwise use conky or just the top command from inside xterm, perhaps.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to kwotski For This Useful Post:
The email client is the point in this , mega slow (as in mins to get into my emails if its having a bad moment)

and no functionality

MB

Originally Posted by kwotski View Post
Sounds like something is eating your CPU or RAM up. Just as an example, for me, typing at the desktop screen instantly brings up matching contacts, whereas you report 5 seconds. Definitely less than a quarter of a second for me.

I would try and see what your CPU usage is as you are doing these things. If you have the cpumem applet installed, take a look at what it's doing, otherwise use conky or just the top command from inside xterm, perhaps.
Its not just that, its everything - off the top if my head - the media player sometimes has no songs in it, photos from album artwork show up in the photo gallery, app manager is slow, the camera is quite poor (for a Nokia), the whole OS freezes at times, I think another 6months the N900 will be ultra good (but then we may have a maemo 6 phone!), its the Nokia way - N95, N97 anyone?

Last edited by chrisp7; 2010-01-21 at 13:31.

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ NE UK
Originally Posted by chrisp7 View Post
Its not just that - its everything - the media player... the camera ... the whole OS ...
Well, if you want to have a general moan, fine /ignore

I was responding to a specific couple of points by the OP. If it takes five seconds to bring up a contact by typing at the desktop, there is something unusual going on, because, as I say, it's instant on my device. Sounds like a runaway process is consuming resources.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kwotski For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Northern Ireland
Originally Posted by chrisp7 View Post
Its not just that, its everything - off the top if my head - the media player sometimes has no songs in it, photos from album artwork show up in the photo gallery, app manager is slow, the camera is quite poor (for a Nokia), the whole OS freezes at times, I think another 6months the N900 will be ultra good (but then we may have a maemo 6 phone!), its the Nokia way - N95, N97 anyone?
I haven't got an n900 yet, but am due to get one as an upgrade soon, and i fear i may be severely disappointed when I get it. I currently have a nokia n96 and had the n73 and used the n95 and they were exactly the same. they just need to spend more time, money and resources developing their software before releasing their phones. they use the keep early adoptors as 'free' testers, but i think its costing them more in the long run, as several of my friends swore off nokia after the n95 and havent been back. I however, cannot stay away

The Following User Says Thank You to r-t-q For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Northern Ireland

I was responding to a specific couple of points by the OP. If it takes five seconds to bring up a contact by typing at the desktop, there is something unusual going on, because, as I say, it's instant on my device. Sounds like a runaway process is consuming resources.
the point being this shouldn't be happening. if nokia spent more time on the FW and apps on the n900 this wouldnt happen. its a shame.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to r-t-q For This Useful Post:
Agreed! it would have taken such a small amount of effort to have basic simple features in there ( and im not expecting the phone features i might add)!

He was talking about the device in general. But Im sure he will appreciate your advice. And yes I fancy a moan - Nokia needs it to get the message.

Originally Posted by r-t-q View Post
I haven't got an n900 yet, but am due to get one as an upgrade soon, and i fear i may be severely disappointed when I get it. I currently have a nokia n96 and had the n73 and used the n95 and they were exactly the same. they just need to spend more time, money and resources developing their software before releasing their phones. they use the keep early adoptors as 'free' testers, but i think its costing them more in the long run, as several of my friends swore off nokia after the n95 and havent been back. I however, cannot stay away
No, definitely you wont. Thankfully I avoided the N96. But the N900 is a fantastic device, it really is, it just could be so much better, it frustrates me!

Last edited by chrisp7; 2010-01-21 at 13:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to chrisp7 For This Useful Post: