hey all

I am trying to understand as a mobile apps developer, how do you get money for your apps that you have put a lot of work on?

i have seen ovi store, it said you will get 70% of revenue shares. but most of the apps are free in the store. how do you get benefit?

Posts: 654 | Thanked: 664 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Germany
You won't get anything if you publish free applications. You need to set a price to receive the 70%.

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
70% of nothing is nothing!?
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
70% of nothing is nothing!?
70% of nothing = 100% appreciation
I wish nokia would also set a donate button for those who make free apps.

@dongzhe
I think the ovi store is still being worked on, non-free apps should be released soon though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bec For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Münster
there are perry rhodan stories for money. Try clicking a few pages ahead in audio/video section. so money can be made .

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ The Netherlands
The Applestore is a great example. Prices are fair and afforable. In addition, many small ammounts can make for some decent money which will motivate a developer to go the extra mile, which will likely results in better apps. Then there is also the option of free without all the features and a paid version for the full experience. So, free apps will always be there and they should, but I would encourage fairly priced quality apps next to the free ones.

Any insight on your app in mind? : )

posted from my awesome N900

Originally Posted by misterm View Post
The Applestore is a great example. Prices are fair and afforable. In addition, many small ammounts can make for some decent money which will motivate a developer to go the extra mile, which will likely results in better apps. Then there is also the option of free without all the features and a paid version for the full experience. So, free apps will always be there and they should, but I would encourage fairly priced quality apps next to the free ones.

Any insight on your app in mind? : )

posted from my awesome N900
Exactly I have suprised myself with how often i buy a free app and then find myself upgrading to the paid app for extra functions.
You can also try adverts in apps I guess.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
There are a lot of different business models.
  • Sell actual software/content. This is the easiest with Ovi, but the N900's lack of DRM does not encourage this model
  • Sell subscription. If your software provides a service, you can sell that and DRM is not an issue any more.
  • Sell support. Depends on actual software, obviously, not really applicable to trinkets.
  • Ads. People dislike this, but hey, it's a business model.
  • Donations. Not really a business model, but it IS income.

These are basic ones, most models fall into these groups (or combinations of them).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Bec View Post
I wish nokia would also set a donate button for those who make free apps.
Why wait on Nokia? We can do it ourselves on maemo.org, if people like my (pragmatic) idea for micro-donations on maemo.org.

I think the ovi store is still being worked on, non-free apps should be released soon though.
Yeah, no-one realised that apt-get would work. I'm guessing we'll get per-user virtual repositories, with the Packages file limited to those apps which have been "downloaded"/bought through the web UI. Not foolproof for preventing piracy, but probably Good Enough[TM].

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
if nokia want to have as good as iphone stores or even better, they have to make the apps profitable. Developers need something to live on. Developers are not robots, they need to eat as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to dongzhe For This Useful Post: