Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Hi,

I wrote this within a week of getting my n900, mostly because I wanted this info quicker than going via the TFL website and as an exercice in playing around with code on my shiny new toy. Since then there's been at least one other app which does the same thing: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=40183, although I just noticed it's been discontinued in favour of a bigger app which does more.

Personally I prefer this particular info to be in a tiny fast-starting app (possibly even as a desktop applet) rather than a bigger app. A comment was made that my version was not particularly finger-friendly (my primary aim was to make it look similar to the TFL website tube status, as well as avoiding scrolling).

For my purposes it pretty much does what I need it to do, but I was wondering whether anybody else is interested in continued work on this app or whether I should just shelve it (so far it's only made it into the developer repository).

Further improvements I was thinking of adding:
* Redo GUI code (is rather inefficient and messy currently)
* Re-write in C (python version is really only proof-of-concept of the UI)
* Auto-update status every few minutes if left running in background
* (Auto) rotate screen
* Desktop applet?

* Alternative screen layout (either replacing the current one, or as an option)

Current Screenshot:

Alternative Screenshot:

So far I've not found a way to change the colours of the buttons on the alternative layout. It looks nice and "Hildony", but not very "TFLly".

Anyway, would be interested to know whether or not there's any interest in me spending more time on this app.

Cheers,
- Micha.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mwerle For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Definitely! I also like the look of the "Hildony" screenshot. Perhaps you could auto-generate (or composite, or... - I haven't check the HildonButton API) somewhat shiny background buttons with each of the line colours, and then have the status symbols over the top.

Something square, without text or stripes, like:

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
i likey!!
will definitley test it

good idea and pretty good looking.
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Hi,
Your application is exactly what I need.
While I enjoy using the browser as much as possible, a separate app is very handy until tfl makes its website much more mobile-friendly (I can't stand the wap version of their site)

In addition to what you've done so far, it would be fantastic to be able to route trips in real time, as done by some android apps. For example, choosing departure and end stations and figuring out where to change line and how long it takes to get to destination.

I'm not a programmer myself, but would be more than happy to contribute in testing the app and possibly getting introduced to learning python too!

Posts: 487 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ London, UK
Being one of the Maemo londoners, I can see this becoming very handy especially during the weekends!

I give it a go and report bugs (if any!).

Thanks for the hard work!

PS: i just tried it and it works really well. Just 1 request, could you add a portrait mode please?

Applications I've made:
- Vuvuzela
- LTM: London Tube Map

Last edited by El Amir; 2010-02-28 at 16:07.

Great - just what i was looking for! Where can i find it, is it in dev repository?

Thanks

Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
For portrait mode use, there is also "london-tubes". It shows the lines but you need to click on a line to see a status update - and the status updates are more detailed.
There is also an "ALL" button to see the status similar to mw-tube but it is not colour coded.

[edit]
Please see the first post in this thread for more info
[/edit]

Last edited by JohnLF; 2010-03-05 at 12:57. Reason: Just spotted first post

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
mwerle - A future enhancement for you could be to make it a desktop widget and report on an exceptions basis (i.e. only tubes that are delayed/closed).
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Atlanta, GA + Oxford UK
Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
mwerle - A future enhancement for you could be to make it a desktop widget and report on an exceptions basis (i.e. only tubes that are delayed/closed).
This would be my preference.

Got it and sadly it does not work on mine, it installed ok but when i try it open it nothing happens, screen goes black and then back to the desktop. Tried seeing if its open and nothing showing.

Using Maemo 5 2.2009.51-1.203.2

Last edited by milkbottles; 2010-03-05 at 14:02.