Active Topics

Notices

Hi guys I have just come with a simple and probably very stupid idea. I looked on the Internet for any possible hacks to rotate our display and found the name - xrandr. Altough we dont have it in our n900's there is one in the Debian LXDE installation.

If you go to Debian chroot, and type xrandr -o left, it actually rotates your screen to portrait mode, however not very useable because of cut-off menu etc.
When I executed xrandr I noticed that we can switch our resolution from minimal 480x480 to maximal 800x800.
Unfortunately I am too lame to properly set a command for that as it requires adding a new video mode.

I think you wise guys tried this long time ago, but if not maybe it could be an idea how to get it working, eg. a script which checks the accelerometer, then switches the resolution to 480x800 and finally rotates the screen.

I apologise if this thread is a duplicate or in a wrong section but I couldnt find any similar ones.

Regards, Lukasz

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to djjaku For This Useful Post:
Nobody wants to think about this?

Posts: 180 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Miami
i do but im too stupid to understand how any of this works. Just waiting for the developers to make responses....looks like a good idea though. But i think even after the resolution is fixed it still wouldnt work because none of the apps of widgets are designed for portrait. Even the status bar wont open when clicking on it in portrait mode

I think if we set the resolution fixed for 480x800 instead 800x480 it will squeeze the UI. I think like this:
Attached Images

seems like a neat idea, im sure there are people trying to develop something similar to this?

As far Im into linux stuff, N900's are running Maemo based on Debian right? So I think it shouldnt be a lot of difficulty to produce a workaround for that

I think this ->https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution can help , but like I've said before its like reading magic spells for me, I cant understend it yet.

Last edited by djjaku; 2010-01-29 at 22:26.

I just wanted to add to this suggestion if there could be a selection to auto-rotate-next desktop (?) after x seconds. I guess I have been enjoying leaving it ON when I am at my desk plugged in and its like a second assistant that you can glance at the live feeds/alerts sms/email/calls.etc.

Basically, to add a new mode, I need the following parameters:
clock MHz
hdisp
hsync-start
hsync-end
htotal
vdisp
vsync-start
vsync-end
vtotal
+Hsync
-Hsync
+Vsync
-Vsync

If someon has an idea where to get tem from, it could possibly move this forward a bit..

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
The desktops should flip in a Compiz cube-like way

Managed to get two working commands:

xrandr -o left which rotates the screen, and
xrandr --fb 480x800 wchich sets the res. Its possible to set 480x480 and 800x800 as well. When I did the fb and after that -o it rotates the screen and fills it completely. Looks slighly better than the braek bug, but still the task switcher is fcuked up, and the desktops need working on.
Maybe if we could put it in hmmm xorg.conf (???) to do it automatically on startup, just before loading desktop?