Active Topics

Notices

Hi guys,

My name is Daniel, and I'm from Brazil. Well, what I want talk with you, is about the Paid Games/applications. Let's look an example... Iphone games..Interesting, right?
I know that there are a lot of people that dislike to pay for games or applications, however, while we thinks this way, the games and applications will late to come to maemo and its devices (for example, n900).
How much costs a game in Iphone? If n900 is better than Iphone, why not pay for the game or application for n900? I know that MAEMO is open source, however, we needs to encourage the programmers to develop new applications and new games. We need maturate about this think.

Imagine you... you love develop things... imagine if you are paid for this...you'll develop more things and will be recompensed.

I believe that, if we have money to buy a n900, than we can buy a game.

Why the companies of games aren't developing good games or good applications for maemo/n900? Because they don't believe in this market... because all is free here, however, if they see that they can work on new games and they will be paid for that, then, they will change its minds and will say: "Hey, I WANNA DEVELOP MORE THINGS FOR MAEMO/N900".

Well, I'm writing it because we MUST wake up! If we don't change the companies mind, then, maemo/n900 can die!

I love my mobile n900, however, I've saw that for the end users, the games has limitations for Bounce and Angry birds (the best 2 games for maemo/n900).

Does Open source is good? Yes, open source is good! However I've saw a lot of open source projects die because the lack of money or interest.

Then brothers... don't let maemo/n900 die!

Let's encourage the companies to develop games and applications for this wonderful operation system (maemo)and mobile (n900).

Best regards and sorry for the english.
Daniel V. C.

Last edited by danielvc; 2010-01-29 at 03:22.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danielvc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
I believe that the tide is turning and game developers are starting to see the potential in the Linux gaming market. Even Valve are currently hiring Linux engineers.

2D Boy sold a lot more copies of World of Goo games to Linux users than other platforms. If companies make good games, we will pay. I certainly bought it the day I heard about it.

I'm not sure what the point of this post is.

Yeah, I'd pay for good games, I'd pay 50 bucks for an RPG that looked as good as bounce does. The sad fact of the matter is that 50 guys paying 50 bucks still is still not near what you could make if you made that game for the Apple App store and priced it at 3$.

The way to encourage companies to publish games for the N900 isn't to send cute emails saying we're a loving community in need of help. Its done by offering them the most money, and currently this is not the place where the most money can be made.

@lazarpandar, the only thing nokia can do is hire some devels themself and let them make some good games. or make an app so that devels can make a port of iphone games very easy so that it will cost almost nothing and still make some money out of it.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
The other problem is how you get people to pay in a system that doesn't support DRM.

We have already seen serious issues with paid apps in the ovi store: the 'angry birds' levels pack was pulled after less than a day once it was pointed out that although you paid if you went through the Ovi UI, if you did it via the terminal, you could d/l it for freee - and that's before people start file-sharing. Then there's a sounds fuile in Ovi that you can buy but not play (since it's a DRM file).

Nokia/ovi need to sort that one out before they can begin to attract paid apps.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
The other problem is how you get people to pay in a system that doesn't support DRM.
DRM on applications is not used on computers either. And somehow it does work and there's lots of pay software available. Serial keys or license files are a common way to avoid piracy. Of course this could be (and is) hacked easily, but so is DRM.

look at the likes of the good old games distribution service they are totally DRM free in a world where many of the titles could be acquired elsewhere on the internet for free if you wanted to go down that route. However people myself included do still pay for such content.

In terms of money making and attention publishers give it the iphones closed system is very good at forcing peoples hands and making them pay for it, thus making both apple and the developers money.

It is a problem that needs sorting. I think they need a dedicated Ovi app rather than web based version and you download the games on there, plus lock out any ofter way of accessing the content. For now that would surfice I think.

You'd think Nokia would be able to set up this it's not like they havn't had the experience of distributing through the n-gage digital platform (admittedly bad in many respects)

There are a ton of 1st generation iphone/ipod touch games that maemo device owners would lap up and yes the device may lack multitouch but there are so many ways around it.

Lots of DRM in the PC world but in the end it really doesn't affect things much. I can't see how the argument can seriously be made that DRM on that platform is really preventing anything. (well I guess since they keep releasing with the DRM they do believe it has some benefit but I can't really see it) Yet games are still getting released.

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
I have to say I like the code wheel copy protection of the early Monkey Island games - you're in control (and possession) of the game you bought, and only when you physically lose or destroy the code wheel. And piracy (sic) was big with Monkey Island.. hehe.

(I also remember writing down "common answers" to copy-protection questions in the manual of the game. Something like "What's the second word of the third paragraph on page 42 of the game manual?" and then starting the game again and again until the "right" question comes up.)

Back in the day, these "ARM" (analog restrictions management?) methods were cool and the worst thing that could happen is that you have to phone your friend (who owns the original manual) and ask him a copy-protection question to get into the game. Social interaction, anyone?

(To not go completely off-topic: It's surely not that hard to add a "activation key"-style protection scheme to games on the N900 to make it a little bit harder for people to "pirate" the game and to let people think twice about giving their activation key to strangers.)

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by thp View Post
(I also remember writing down "common answers" to copy-protection questions in the manual of the game. Something like "What's the second word of the third paragraph on page 42 of the game manual?" and then starting the game again and again until the "right" question comes up.)
ooo i like that one - Make it 15th line on page 484 of the bible (No idea what that is or if it exists.... Kathy?).... would love to see every N900 gaming user have to carry the bible around with them

(Either that or catcher in the rye in memory of Salinger)
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -