I am fumbling around with my new N900- spectacular phone and Internet tablet, but I can't work out how to get an MSN login using the pre installed IM chat prog- I have read so many threads on here but still don't really understand what to do- could someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

Hey, congrats for buying the N900, it's the best phone ever
You can't use MSN Messenger with the integrated IM. Go to apps manager, activate maemo extras and download Pidgin. It's the best one for MSN!

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by gtessier00 View Post
Hey, congrats for buying the N900, it's the best phone ever
You can't use MSN Messenger with the integrated IM. Go to apps manager, activate maemo extras and download Pidgin. It's the best one for MSN!
that's not true...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS0_eA2foTI
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=24

It doesnt show all contacts that are online

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
It doesnt show all contacts that are online
sure it does...
which plug-in do you have?
You can also install the "MSN (pecan) protocol plug-in", this will add MSN only, and it's working very well, too.

download aMSN...its perfect.....

@zehjotkah Not sure, I cant remember lol

Originally Posted by ujwalsoni View Post
download aMSN...its perfect.....
aMSN is slow.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ hampshire
I toohave only had my N900 for couple of days. Followed the above advice and have added MSN as per instructions above.

Please keep the advice coming for us newbies, its great

Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
sure it does...
which plug-in do you have?
You can also install the "MSN (pecan) protocol plug-in", this will add MSN only, and it's working very well, too.
Without sounding like a total div- how do I do this? I've seen pidgin, I managed to work out how to show the maemo.org apps and saw it there, and have used it previously on a linux install, but would like to try to use the inbuilt IM client if at all possible- and remember I am a total newbie!

Thanks for all replies, its good to know I have joined a good and helpful community.

Originally Posted by erk View Post
Without sounding like a total div- how do I do this? I've seen pidgin, I managed to work out how to show the maemo.org apps and saw it there, and have used it previously on a linux install, but would like to try to use the inbuilt IM client if at all possible- and remember I am a total newbie!

Thanks for all replies, its good to know I have joined a good and helpful community.
did you read my first post in this thread?
there I've posted two links...
read them and you'll know how to use MSN with the inbuilt messenger...