Active Topics

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
First edition of Maemo Weekly News

Hello, and welcome to the first edition of Maemo Weekly News. This, as the name suggests, is a new weekly digest of news and announcements from in and around the Maemo community. Our team of intrepid contributors are deeply embedded within all facets of the Maemo and 770, N800, N810 and N900 community; whether that's on IRC, talk.maemo.org, maemo.org Downloads, blogs, Twitter or the mailing lists. They read and process all the info, so you don't have to!

As this is the first issue, things are still bedding in - features such as the top downloads for the week, the newest downloads and the top bugs are still under development. Also, we're still looking for contributors; so if you feel like you stumble across Maemo items which are well hidden, and of interest to others, please hit "Read more" link to get involved. The key thing to all of us is that this adds lots of value, without taking up lots of our time. If laziness, hubris and a desire to help others are qualities you recognise in yourself, get in touch!

Firefox mobile released for Maemo 5

The news has been everywhere, but Mozilla's mobile Firefox (Fennec) has now been released for the N900. Using basically the same engine as the built-in browser, Firefox Mobile brings an interesting new take on the mobile browser user interface; can synchronise with your desktop Firefox and embraces the concepts of add-ons in the same way it's big brother does:
Bringing Firefox to mobile devices is the next step toward fulfilling Mozilla's mission of providing one Web that everyone can access, regardless of device or location. Secure, powerful, and customizable, Firefox is the most modern mobile Web browser available and is optimized for a mobile experience. Key design principles are at the heart of the mobile browsing experience including minimal typing, seamless synchronization with desktop Firefox and the ability to take your Firefox with you, to name a few.
It will be interesting to see whether it gets the user takeup that Firefox has had, given it's competing against its own cousin and every review lists the out-of-the-box browser as the best feature of the N900.

In this edition...
  1. Front Page
    • First edition of Maemo Weekly News
    • Firefox mobile released for Maemo 5
  2. Applications
    • The One Ring - Google Voice properly integrated into Maemo 5
    • Ovi store still selling DRM content the N900 can't play
    • Mac OS X iSync plugin for N900
  3. Development
    • Proposal for micro-donations for authors via maemo.org
    • maemo.org Extras definition of 'free' brought into focus
    • Network connected apps should better support proxy
  4. Community
    • UK development community used in Nokia marketing video
    • Brainstorm - how do we make it useful, and manage it?
    • Ask the Community Council
  5. Devices
    • No clarification on Maemo 6 for N900
    • N900 call volume fading out - hardware or software fault?
    • PUSHN900 pre-London meet roundup
  6. Maemo in the Wild
    • N900 viral marketing in top 5 for 2009
    • Prominent N900 adverts in London Underground
  7. Announcements
    • SyncEvolution 0.9.2 announcement
    • Download Assistant preview
    • Catorise sorts your #N900 apps: now in Extras

Last edited by Jaffa; 2010-02-01 at 06:05.

The Following 92 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
one minute left

Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
one minute left
More like two hours my dear Quim. You're up way too early either way.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Ah, I see now that the launch is at 6am UTC. The website counter was telling me that it was 1 minute left for 6am in my local time. Anyway, just launch details.

Looking forward to the real flesh. Time for me to reach the office.

Posts: 106 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Rotterdam, Netherlands
Good morning, look forward reading this very first Maemo "enews letter"

The first edition is now live at http://www.mwkn.net/.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Ah, I see now that the launch is at 6am UTC. The website counter was telling me that it was 1 minute left for 6am in my local time. Anyway, just launch details.
Well, that was a useless countdown then! Sorry for the inconvenience :-(

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
Excellent work Jaffa and Reggie, thanks a lot to all the contributors to find the links and provide us with a good insight of what's happening.

Everyone, please note that this issue was created nearly manually. The feeds and links were provided through twitter, and then Jaffa and Reggie have been fleshing out the contents of the newsletter through editing a simple text file! So big round of applause to them!

We're still working hard to try and get an automated system running, so that editors, sub-editors and contributors have a much easier time putting an issue together. Stay tuned for future updates!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CrashandDie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
That's really excellent! Very, very impressive.

Huge round of applause to the people involved, and thankyou. A good step for Maemo.org.

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Excellent job! A good way to catch up with things you may have missed.

Tags
mwkn