Active Topics

hi...I am now runing 51.1 but conky show 42.11. why?

for better answer I come from original version with OTA to 44-1 and then Again with OTA to 51-1
Attached Images

Last edited by Mazi; 2010-01-31 at 21:18.

Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
I'm no expert, many could say noob. But I'm guess that it's really displaying the name of your device rather than the OS versions your running.

I would very much like to kmow how to change that, since it will show up on every wifi network you log into. So if anyone knows please post. Or tell me I way off target...

x

Last edited by xman; 2010-01-31 at 23:46.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
That is indeed the hostname, however on my up-to-date N900, it's showing correctly as "Nokia-N900-51-1". Try editing /etc/hostname, or set it in terminal with the 'hostname' command?

The Following User Says Thank You to craftyguy For This Useful Post:
Does it also say the same thing in Settings -> About

Thanks, you are a craftyguy...

I will see after I restart next, but it worked in xterm by typing....

hostname whatevernamehere

then just hit return. kinda of too easy really unless I did something wrong.

x

Update

I too did the update through the device.

Just changing your hostname in xterm the way I did it previously will only stay until restart.

But here are the instructions I found that seem to work for me so far. No claims other than it work on mine.

Step 1) Open a terminal type the commands found in the following steps.

Step 2) become root.

Step 3) Type the command "cat /etc/hostname" to see the hostname that is currently set.

Step 4) Type the command "gedit /etc/hostname" to open the "/etc/hostname" file in a text editor. You can replace "gedit" with the name of the text editor that you prefer. There should be only one entry in this file. I used leafpad

Step 5) Edit the file to reflect the new hostname. Just type the name you want

Step 6) Save and close the file. I just restarted after this one and it seem to work fine

Step 7) Type the command "/etc/init.d/hostname.sh" to have the operating system read the "/etc/hostname" file.

Step 8) Type the command "sysctl kernel.hostname=HOSTNAME" to change the kernel.hostname variable. Replace the word "HOSTNAME" with the new hostname.

cheers

x

Last edited by xman; 2010-02-02 at 15:07.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
If you are indeed on later firmware, it seems a little strange that /etc/hostname wasn't updated along with everything else..
Either Nokia forgot to update that file, or your upgrade may not have fully completed successfully?

Hmmm, not sure. everything seems to be working fine more or less. And it does say the correct version in the settings about product window.

x

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Wichita, KS
craftyguy, did you last update/install your firmware using NSU (through USB) or SSU (Over the Air)?
I'm suspecting the hostname was remained when user did the update through SSU whereas if the user flashed/update their device using the firmware through NSU, hostname will be the same as the firmware version.
This is because I remember conky still shows hostname as 42-11 on mine after I updated to both 44 and 51, but it shows 51-1 right after I flashed mined with the 51-1 firmware last week.

yes my "ABOUT" says also 51.1

and for information I use Over The Air update for both version( WIFI) ...It seems if we use PC/Cable method for update only chang host name??

anybody???