Posts: 5 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany, Europe
Hi all.

My N900 is now barely a month old and has it's first defect. The movable camera cover is made of several parts, the blue bottom plastic, the black plastic with "Carl Zeiss" written on it, and a spring in between to "lock" the cover. Now to plastic parts have lost contact on one edge, and the spring is loose inside.

I contacted the Nokia service but instead of just sending a replacement cover they insist that I bring my phone to a Nokia Care Point, which will then send it to Nokia for repair... Greenpeace should check for such transport nonsense for their green electronics program.

Does anyone else have this problem and has fixed this (atm I do not want to completely separate the two parts as long as they are glued at least a bit and there is still a chance to get this done on warranty) or better can tell me the magic knobs to turn to get Nokia service to act sane on this one?

Tim

Posts: 1,090 | Thanked: 476 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ingolstadt, Germany
Grüß dich Tim

i have the same problem, but in my case the two parts are completely torn off.
i now have the turquoise part on my backplate, black part on my table and the spring anywhere around. ^^
mhm... i also contacted the nokia service but they told me the same thing - i should go to the next nokia care point.
(als würde dieses abdeckung sooooooo viel kosten... tzzz)

tried to fix it myself yet but the parts won't hold together.
if i'm feeling good i may go to the nokia care point and listen to what they have to say.
but if you're faster than me (what i expect ^^) then just post here what the care support has to say

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany, Europe
I have called the local care point. They cannot order the single part because the N900 is "too new" they claim. So the decentralized Nokia care service would send it to their centralized service centers. They could not give any information when they would be able to get the parts. I have also tried to get some kind of order number from the Nokia service that I could give to the care point to simply order the part (which I would expect to be a common replacement part, given it's easy-to-replace nature). But they won't or can't.

Does anyone have info when the care points will be able to deliver replacement parts for the N900?

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Montreal, Canada
I am having the same exact problem! I knew this would be current! This is such a turn off =( Nokia CS told me the same thing but the problem is that I'm in Canada and they said they don't repair this phone in Canada... this is frustrating... I can't even find a replacement cover in ebay...

People will start to experience this problem soon! My advice would be:

-Whenever you slide the camera cover, do it slowly and don't put pressure on it.
-Try not to put it too often in your pockets cause everyti e you slide your n900 in your pocket, you can accidently slide the camera cover or break it.
-Always put your N900 on a flat area.

I have kinda fixed mine with crazy glue. I glued the corners of the open area. mine was opened in the bottom right. Before fixing this, everytime I slide it, there was a tiny metel thing that slips out and it didn't close properly... Now glued, it works but it doesn't feel right but it closes and opens perfectly without he slingy feeling.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
hahhaha I thought I'm the only person who had this problem. When I got my phone for 1 week and the camera cover came separated, the glue open up and let the spring came off the hook.

Well I tried to put it back in together but then my spring went fly somewhere in the room and took me 1hour to find it with magnets scabbing along the carpet.

Then it went fly off again and found it again. At the end I managed to put it back into the socket hook. And carefully placed the cover part on it and super Glue the whole thing. Fortunately it sticked together and never come off ever again, but UNFORTUNATELY the super glue leaked out and stucked onto my shiney chrome area lol but no major problem with it.

Just look slightly oldish... and a few scratch when trying to removed it.

Last edited by maxximuscool; 2010-02-08 at 03:51.

Originally Posted by timn View Post
I have called the local care point. They cannot order the single part because the N900 is "too new" they claim.
Don't ask to replace just the camera cover.
The camera cover is part of the backplate. Tell them to change/replace the backplate instead.