Notices

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Brasov/Cluj, Romania
Originally Posted by xman View Post
Not sure if I'm the only one, but I can't seem to change the aspect settings to show anything other than current + total + graph. Did I miss something? I goto the settings click widget aspect, choose show only total, click okay..and nothing happens.

x
You're right, there's a bug with that option. I'll fix it and upload a new version to extras-devel and extras-testing as soon as possible.

Thanks for reporting.

The Following User Says Thank You to andrei1089 For This Useful Post:
I've uploaded a new version (0.3-4) that fixes this bug.

Please test & rate http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...ewidget/0.3-4/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andrei1089 For This Useful Post:
The new version (0.3-4) has passed QA and is now in extras. Enjoy!

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
Is there any chance of having the Start Button turn GREEN when it is monitoring and WHITE when it is off? I am sometimes not sure if it is on or off and the small icon isn't that visible to my fading eyes.
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

Originally Posted by cardiff-blues View Post
Is there any chance of having the Start Button turn GREEN when it is monitoring and WHITE when it is off? I am sometimes not sure if it is on or off and the small icon isn't that visible to my fading eyes.
Yes, I'm going to improve the UI for the start/stop button. Thanks for your suggestion, I'll probably implement it. Also, I'm thinking to make the entire region around the play icon clickable (the region with the labels:time, steps, etc.. ) in order to increase the usability.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andrei1089 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
Thanks Andrei
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

The Following User Says Thank You to cardiff-blues For This Useful Post:
Indeed it is one of the nice apps that i have seen for the N900. However accuracy , I am not very sure. It would be nice to give a small help or manual for the application. There should be a provision for downloading the data (statistics) to the PC.
Calibration of the step length is also required.
Of course using the gps would drain the battery.
Thanks for a nice application. Let us know when the next update is due.

Just for information:

I have finally tracked down the cause of my cpu-usage problem.

Having the pedometer turned on boosts the cpu usage of hildon-home up to about 8-12% and total cpu usage up to 22% on average. This results in a significant battery drain over the course of a day.

This compares to an overall cpu usage of 8-10% average when pedometer is not monitoring. Having the widget loaded causes a negligible difference, having it turned on is when it takes the hit.

Your pedometer is probably one of my favourite applications for my N900 but I am not keen on sacrificing so much battery life; I wouldn't have thought it required too much in the way of cpu cycles to keep it ticking over. I generally leave the pedometer on permanently so this is a bit of a bummer to discover.

ps. Latest version of ped + PR 1.3 clean flash.

Last edited by bandario; 2010-11-15 at 23:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to bandario For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bandario View Post
Just for information:

I have finally tracked down the cause of my cpu-usage problem.

Having the pedometer turned on boosts the cpu usage of hildon-home up to about 8-12% and total cpu usage up to 22% on average. This results in a significant battery drain over the course of a day.

This compares to an overall cpu usage of 8-10% average when pedometer is not monitoring. Having the widget loaded causes a negligible difference, having it turned on is when it takes the hit.

Your pedometer is probably one of my favourite applications for my N900 but I am not keen on sacrificing so much battery life; I wouldn't have thought it required too much in the way of cpu cycles to keep it ticking over. I generally leave the pedometer on permanently so this is a bit of a bummer to discover.

ps. Latest version of ped + PR 1.3 clean flash.
While the pedometer is running it is polling the accelerometer every ~50ms, that is causing the increase in CPU load.
To avoid frequent situations when the user forgets to stop it I was thinking to add an option that will automatically stop if no steps are detected for x minutes ( x to be defined by the user).
Also an auto start feature might be useful ( check for steps every 1-2 minutes and start if movement is detected).
I would really appreciate some feedback on these ideas. Thanks!

Indeed it is one of the nice apps that i have seen for the N900. However accuracy , I am not very sure. It would be nice to give a small help or manual for the application. There should be a provision for downloading the data (statistics) to the PC.
All data is stored in an xml file in ~/.pedometer. How would you like to have the data exported?

The Following User Says Thank You to andrei1089 For This Useful Post:
These additions could prove extremely useful and save a fair bit of battery life by the sounds of it.

In my usage, I am not forgetting to turn it off. I work a physical job and like to keep a running tally of how many KM I have covered in a week so I was leaving it on all week long which leaves me scratching my head about what is happening to my battery.

Since I stopped using the pedometer my battery life is up to about 36-40 hours.

Having the application automatically cease monitoring the accelerometer during break times, driving times, home times and boat times might save enough to be useful

Thanks for your response and your excellent work so far!
-Adam